Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to play a legato interval from A2 to D2, most of the time I get no change in pitch, even though I am now fingering D2. This is with the octave key down.

I have a similar interval problem between A2 and E2, the difference being that I get a pitch of B2, yet I am fingering E2.

I just had my horn tech do an extensive setup for me, and that has improved the horn tremendously. In general, the horn plays very well from top to bottom, the low Bb must be felt to be believed!

I know that I am still new to this horn (thanks, 10Mfan), although I have been playing alto and tenor on and off since 1966, but how do I go about fixing this interval problem?

I am using a Rico Graftonite B5 mouthpiece with a Rico 2 1/2.

Any suggestions out the in Sax Guru Land?

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
How about from R2 to D2? :mrgreen:

A2 is an overtone of D2 and B2 is an overtone of E2. If you play A2 and change your fingers to D2 (and also same with B2 and E2 and some other notes) without changing anything else, you can get what you are getting. You have to blow and shape your mouth in a way to allow both notes.

You say you've been playing on and off, do you not have the problem on other saxophones? Other baritones? Even if not on alto and tenor, possible to have it on baritone, especially if you are new to it.

Worth checking the octave mechanism works the way it should, just in case (i.e. each octave key opening only when they should).

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
How about from R2 to D2? :mrgreen:

A2 is an overtone of D2 and B2 is an overtone of E2. If you play A2 and change your fingers to D2 (and also same with B2 and E2 and some other notes) without changing anything else, you can get what you are getting. You have to blow and shape your mouth in a way to allow both notes.

You say you've been playing on and off, do you not have the problem on other saxophones? Other baritones? Even if not on alto and tenor, possible to have it on baritone, especially if you are new to it.

Worth checking the octave mechanism works the way it should, just in case (i.e. each octave key opening only when they should).

I agree with Nitai. I would get someone you know who plays bari to have a go and see if the problem still occurs - that way you'll know whether its the sax or you.

I would suggest its likely an embouchure thing seeing as you're new to the bari.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
Hopefully the tech did a good ob, otherwise it would be obvious to look for a leak, though as clarnibass says it's worth checking at least the octave mechanism, even after a good service or overhaul minor adjustments may be needed.

Try this:

When you go from A2 to D2, make a conscious effort to close the LH key (g) fractionally before the RH keys. If this helps then the problem could be that you were actually closing the RH before the left, which will cause the overtone A to still sound instead of D.

They LH and RH should closesimultaneouslyer, but exagerating the closing of the LH before the RH may get you out of the habit of the other way round.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts