Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The D palm key on my old Conn 24M is worn on the inside and no longer fits snggly on the rod. Can I do anything.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
This is not uncommon on older saxes. As Paul? said swedging is often a solution that works. Unfortunately that is something that requires the special collet tool or swedging pliers. In some cases there is not enough "tube" showing on one side of the key to do an adequate swedging job. One side is tight, but the other is loose. In cases such as this, a solution is to make and fit an oversized rod for that specific key. Which is not as hard as it sounds, but again it takes special tools to do it.

The right to left wobble in palm keys needs to be corrected, because every time the key comes down in a different spot it is going to leak. When there is a leak like that in the top of the horn, then nothing works well below it.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I'm also looking for a replacement for this key. I posted in the parts wanted section.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Any replacement part is likely to need special fitting tools as well, if you want an accurate fit.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Another alternative is to replace the short section of hinge tubing on this key. There are multiple fixes that will cure the problem that don't involve replacing the key. Don't forget, the replacement key you may find will quite likely need fitting as well and may be in similar or worse condition than your original.
Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts