Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased one of the D’addario Resevre alto mouthpieces a few weeks back. (155)
I love the sound I get from it but feel like it has a lot of resistance even compared to other classical mouthpieces. I am wondering if that is more from the interior design or the very thick tip and side rails. I assume a combination of both but think the rails have more to do with that. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with thinning the rails and tip some to attempt to improve response. I imagine the reserve mouthpiece could be ridiculously good with some more hand finishing.

Please let me know your thoughts and experience with this. I recently had the rails thinned and tip matched to my reed on another mouthpiece and it improved the response a ton. I may want to try with this reserve mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Artisan.
254 Posts
There’s definitely room for improvement in these pieces. Thinning the tip rail is just one thing I’d do. The tables while very close to good are not optimal either. Some hand finishing can go a long way.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like Eric knows what to do with this specifically so I am sending to him. I’ll take before and after pictures as well as report on the improvements. I would do recordings but don’t think it would show much since the resistance change is what I am after.

Will let you all know!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
There's variance between these. Mine is a stuffy and dull sounding (gathering dust in my drawer) although my friends is a very responsive and a great player..

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
I had Mojo thin the tip rail and in general make my Reserve 155 into a more responsive piece. I've been on it close to a year after 35 years or so on a 60's Selmer scroll shank C*.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts