Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
5,990 Posts
I just got the Gen2 2.5 from Kessler. I’m not too pleased. It plays much too hard… feels like a 3.5 not a 2.5. I’m thinking of trying the trick mentioned in another thread about dipping a synthetic reed in boiling water to soften it.
My experience has been just the opposite. To me, the Venn G2 feels like a completely different reed compared to the Venn G1.1 (the slightly improved version of the original). My G2 is a 2.5 for alto, and it's very free-blowing -- practically Forestone-like in its immediate response, especially compared to the sluggish G1.1. This 2.5 is definitely softer than the G1.1 2.5, and may even be a bit softer than the G1.1 2.0. The G2 also has more even response from top to bottom. The annoying extra layer of low-end resistance that characterized earlier Venns is gone.

I tested the G2 2.5 on my Selmer Series III with three different classical alto mouthpieces: my usual Yanagisawa AC150, a Selmer Concept, and a D'Addario D155. I never thought I'd say this about a Venn, but with the Yany, my lowest-resistance mp, the G2 2.5 was almost too responsive -- a little brighter and edgier than I prefer. The G1.1 is definitely darker. However, the easier-blowing G2 made the Venn + Concept and Venn + D155 combos playable for me, which wasn't the case with the G1.1. (It was sadly ironic that D'Addario's own mouthpiece worked so poorly with its own synthetic reed.) The overall resistance profile of the Concept with this reed is still not perfect for me, but I that's because of the mouthpiece. I've always liked the sound of the Concept, but the feel has never been quite right. But the D155 pairs pretty well with the G2 2.5. As for the AC150, I may try the Venn G2 3.0 and see how that works.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
8,076 Posts
Thanks for the review. Do you find the Ven gets softer over time?

· Registered
5,990 Posts
Thanks for the review. Do you find the Ven gets softer over time?
If by "over time" you mean during an individual playing session, then I'd say yes, a little bit. I think all synth reeds (heck, probably all reeds, period) get slightly softer after being played for 1-2 hours. This is usually not an issue for me.

If you mean during the course of the reed's lifetime, I haven't owned it long enough to determine. Of course it will wear out eventually, but I don't know what the downward curve will be like.

· Registered
11 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 1st gen of these, but on the recommendation of someone, I went ahead and grabbed a gen 2 to try. Definitely had a much more immediate response than what I'm used to with my Vandoren reeds, and it felt a bit more punchy and less warm. I'm just getting back to playing my sax so take that comparison for what it's worth.

· Registered
578 Posts
I got one of the new Venn tenor reeds. Sounded very good - a bit rounder than Legere, but the tip has split after very few hours playing, so I won't be buying any more of those.

Edit: D'Addario are replacing the reed. No fuss and quick response. So I shall try again.

· Registered
56 Posts
I just got a Venn G2 tenor reed 2.5. Overall, I prefer it over Legere (Sig/American) or Hartmann (Carbon, Copper, Onyx, Hemp) synthetic reeds. Compared to Legere Signature 2.5, it's a tad stiffer, but I'm comfortable using it with a .105" mouthpiece tip opening. I'll probably try 2.0 for larger openings.

One thing that I really like is that it works well and sounds good with all my tenor mouthpieces (tested on a NWII/10M transitional). Interestingly, it makes me to like more of my least favorite mouthpiece (Vandoren V16 Metal M T8).

I hope the Venn G2 production is consistent and that the reeds last long...

· Distinguished SOTW Member
5,601 Posts
I just got a Venn G2 tenor reed 2.5. Overall, I prefer it over Legere (Sig/American) or Hartmann (Carbon, Copper, Onyx, Hemp) synthetic reeds. Compared to Legere Signature 2.5, it's a tad stiffer, but I'm comfortable using it with a .105" mouthpiece tip opening. I'll probably try 2.0 for larger openings.

One thing that I really like is that it works well and sounds good with all my tenor mouthpieces (tested on a NWII/10M transitional). Interestingly, it makes me to like more of my least favorite mouthpiece (Vandoren V16 Metal M T8).

I hope the Venn G2 production is consistent and that the reeds last long...
What cane reeds and strength do you usually play and is the Venn 2.5 about the same?

3,667 Posts
I recently tried these on my tenor and on clarinet.

I'm a huge fan of the clarinet one. It's as good as the Legere Euro, but a different sound. It's a loud and bold sound, but still rich and pleasing, which suits me fine because I have to be heard clearly above my sixth grade class (13 clarinets!!). The real test will be the longevity. At A$40 per reed, they're a little cheaper than the Legere, which is nice, and they have the same shape as conventional clarinet reeds, which makes them a little more ligature-friendly.

As for the sax ones, I think they are the closest to cane in feel and sound, but they aren't quite right for me. I will say that my sample size is limited, as I only tested them on my Tone Master, which I've found to be an awful fit for most synthetics. I'll also add that I tried sizes 2.5 and 3, which were both quite a bit too hard for me. My friend who works at the shop said that he thinks they run slightly harder than D'Addario claim, and I'm inclined to agree with that assessment.

At some time, I'll return to the shop with a big load of mouthpieces and see how a #2 strength reed goes with my setups!

· Registered
56 Posts
Got the Venn G2 2.0 strength. It's easier to play for sure, somewhat comparable to Legere Signature 2.5 strength-wise (if not softer), but the reed is a bit brighter than I like. I actually prefer my Legere and Hartmann reeds over the G2 2.0.

After playing with the G2 2.5 reed some more, I'm quite comfortable using it with my mpcs with a larger tip than .105" (perhaps the reed softened after some use, as is typical), so I'm quite happy with the G2 2.5.

· Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,474 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the clarinet one. It's as good as the Legere Euro, but a different sound. It's a loud and bold sound, but still rich and pleasing, which suits me fine because I have to be heard clearly above my sixth grade class (13 clarinets!!). The real test will be the longevity. At A$40 per reed, they're a little cheaper than the Legere, which is nice, and they have the same shape as conventional clarinet reeds, which makes them a little more ligature-friendly.
I'm thinking about trying these on clarinet. How does it compare strengthwise to the Legere Euro cut?

3,667 Posts
I'm thinking about trying these on clarinet. How does it compare strengthwise to the Legere Euro cut?
I'm usually a 3.25 Legere guy. The Venn 3 felt pretty much the same.

I can now comment on longevity. My clarinet is a very hard working one. I have many students a week and often have to play very loudly when playing with large groups of children. My reeds work hard!

The Venn lasted about as long as the Legere. After around 6 weeks, it became a bit weak and buzzy. Pretty good performance, really. I was going to rotate a couple of reeds, but stock is still fairly low in Australia, so they only had one.

· Registered
56 Posts
Sad to say that my Venn G2 reed somehow developed some splits (and some minor loose fibers on the sides, which can be easily pulled out).

I typically store it in a D'Addario Reed Guard, which works well for my Legere and Hartmann reeds; not sure it's because of that or something else (I think I was quite careful with it and didn't bump/drop it).

5,601 Posts
Received it today. Impression?

Has potential, but this 2.5 is too hard. I assume there is no way to "work on it" to make it a hair softer right? So yep, wasted $30.

Edit- per their chart the 2.5 should equal a Java 3 or a Jazz Select 3S and that's a big nope as far as I'm concerned.

· Registered
Antigua Powerbell tenor-Otto Link NY ,Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Antigua sop- Morgan 4
519 Posts
So it's harder than the 3? I have been tempted to try a 2, which is what I'm using in Legere american cut but have been afraid to waste the money based on talk of them being pretty hard. I had read that the Legere was harder than they said but found that not to be the case, a 2 seems to be about the same as a rico orange box 2.

5,601 Posts
So it's harder than the 3? I have been tempted to try a 2, which is what I'm using in Legere american cut but have been afraid to waste the money based on talk of them being pretty hard. I had read that the Legere was harder than they said but found that not to be the case, a 2 seems to be about the same as a rico orange box 2.
I use an American Cut 2.75 and it’s fine, even maybe a hair soft. This Venn 2.5 is much harder than that and I’d equate it to maybe a Red Java 3.25 if such a thing existed.
However, based on what I can get out of this reed it plays and sounds good. And that’s the frustrating part because what, am I supposed to spend $30 more and hope the 2 isn’t too soft?

· Registered
Antigua Powerbell tenor-Otto Link NY ,Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Antigua sop- Morgan 4
519 Posts
That sucks. Sounds like the 2 would be close for you. They need to do the exchange like Legere. I'm going to stay away until I can play a heavier reed.

5,601 Posts
That sucks. Sounds like the 2 would be close for you. They need to do the exchange like Legere. I'm going to stay away until I can play a heavier reed.
There may never be an “until”, use whatever reeds work. I may push my thumb into the heart of this reed to see if it does anything because why not? The mistake was already made lol

21 - 40 of 60 Posts