Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a 'Snakeoil' sub-forum so I'm posting here ;)

Temby & The Music Place in Melbourne (and Sydney?) are now offering their trademarked 'Cycralign' thermal cycling process for metal mouthpieces, saxes and all brass instruments:

http://temby.com/custom-shop/168-cycralign-process
http://www.musicplace.com.au/compon...ured-products/289-cycralign-process-treatment

I found some interesting info about the process here:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-thermal-cycling.htm

Okay, I see the scientific proof that something molecular does occur within the metal but I just can't see how it actually affects or improves the harmonic or musicality of an instrument (especially saxes and mouthpieces). It does appear to improve strength and restance to metal fatigue which is nice. But even if it does change the harmonic properties of a horn - perhaps it's to its detriment rather than improvement!

Thoughts/experiences?

V

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sax Gourmet had a cryo gimmick from memory?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
What a lot of deceiving, misinformation.

There is no heat treatment that has a universal effect on all metals.
Yes, all manner of heat treatments, and inceed, cooling treatments, affect the properties of steel. But I have yet to encounter a steel mouthpiece or sax body.

There is absolutely no reason to apply these concepts to brass or most grades of stainless steel.

"What is a proven fact is that industrial companies using the Cycralign process have in some cases been able to reduce their tooling costs by up to a staggering 50%."
True. That is for steel. It has nothing whatsoever to most other metals, especially brass.

·
17,204 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe I was hearing that voice in my head when I read your first reply. Interesting fella.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,235 Posts
Search on "cryogenic".

I recall a company called 300 Below that does this for brass instruments.

Stress relief is possible but not any phase transformations in brass.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts
In high end audio, where snake oil and extremely high prices abound, this was very hot several years ago. Like many things that some fanatics just cannot live without, many of those same fanatics now can easily go without it. Cables, pointy cones for use under speakers, you name it, the enthusiasts did it to everything.

I always wondered how they knew their products were really done when they got them back from the cryo guys!

The power of suggestion.....the placebo effect......and human insecurity (as in "am I missing out on something?): many companies will use those to the max to coax money out of the pockets of sheep of the world.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,205 Posts
That is a name that I think should not be mentioned here without including this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTecT_T-ovc
(Many other links, withheld, would add to this integrity picture)
Kinda hilarious that someone would actually leave a vid like that UP. I mean, the funny thing is....it wasn't put up by someone blowing the whistle, it was put up by steve himself. Hilarious.
I couldn't find a 'Snakeoil' sub-forum so I'm posting here ;)
Truly an idea whose time has come!
That would be an awesome section ! Harri....??? :mrgreen:

Search on "cryogenic".
I recall a company called 300 Below that does this for brass instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
I couldn't find a 'Snakeoil' sub-forum...
Truly an idea whose time has come!
That would be an awesome section ! Harri....??? :mrgreen:
That is a name that I think should not be mentioned here without including this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTecT_T-ovc
(Many other links, withheld, would add to this integrity picture)
Kinda hilarious that someone would actually leave a vid like that UP. I mean, the funny thing is....it wasn't put up by someone blowing the whistle, it was put up by steve himself. Hilarious.
Maybe we could recruit Mr. Goodson to moderate that sub-forum...

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts
I have no doubt that some folks who offer this are believers. And I have no doubt that some are deliberate, "soft" con men. As far as the latter, I doubt they really perform the procedure. And if so, who would know?

·
17,204 Posts
I too, have been made totally suspicious by dishonesty in Temby marketing. Therefore I cannot believe anything from that direction. (And that probably includes statements from endorsers. (Unless they are astute and experienced technicians, totally independtent from the marketing machine.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
For half the price of Cry-align (sp intended), I will store any piece of apparatus in a help bag until my very large crystal collection; I'm even willing to put it out on the evening of the next full moon for an extra 25%!!

Inquire by PM only

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Maybe we could recruit Mr. Goodson to moderate that sub-forum...
Go easy on him...a few of his innovations are interesting; he certainly helped popularize Roopads. Also, some of his re-examinations of octave pips are interesting. You have to be selective, however.

·
17,204 Posts
I don't regard kangaroo pads as god's gift to saxes, just another variation on a theme, with some rather dubious marketing claims, that have gathered momentum in certain circles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts