Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Do any of you have problems with certain mouthpieces cutting your lip? I have a Navarro Bebop Special (tenor) that often cut my lip, no matter what reed brand I use. It feels that sometimes my skin on the lip is being pushed in between the reed and the rails. It only happens on this piece. Is the profile maybe a little to narrow?

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Hi.

Do any of you have problems with certain mouthpieces cutting your lip? I have a Navarro Bebop Special (tenor) that often cut my lip, no matter what reed brand I use. It feels that sometimes my skin on the lip is being pushed in between the reed and the rails. It only happens on this piece. Is the profile maybe a little to narrow?
You're using too much pressure on the bottom of the mouthpiece. Try just using enough pressure to feel the reed through the lip with the bottom teeth. That's enough and do the exercises on my blog. Phil Barone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
I have had a couple of instances where the reed 1) was artificial and 2) was a little wide for the mpc, resulting in buzz saw effect.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,521 Posts
the original metal brilhart levelair was the king of lip cutters for me. it was hard to get tru a show with out drawing blood.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're using too much pressure on the bottom of the mouthpiece. Try just using enough pressure to feel the reed through the lip with the bottom teeth. That's enough and do the exercises on my blog. Phil Barone
Yes you are maybe right Phil. But I only have the issue on the Navarro piece. But of course always important to check the embouchure first. I have moved to more open pieces and harder reeds the last couple of years.

·
8,275 Posts
Most metal mouthpieces have tables and facings that are not as wide as the standard reed. I've played metal mouthpieces all my life and have never heard of this 'lip-cutting' phenomenon. But if it had happened to me, I would have found a different kind of mouthpiece - its ridiculous to endure this kind of injury and just continue with the same equipment.
Just curious, upper or lower lip? What happens - somehow the lip gets pinched between the facing curve and reed?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most metal mouthpieces have tables and facings that are not as wide as the standard reed. I've played metal mouthpieces all my life and have never heard of this 'lip-cutting' phenomenon. But if it had happened to me, I would have found a different kind of mouthpiece - its ridiculous to endure this kind of injury and just continue with the same equipment.
Just curious, upper or lower lip? What happens - somehow the lip gets pinched between the facing curve and reed?
The lower lip. Yes the lip gets pinched.
The Navarro is not my main piece, since I have changed to another. Now I am considering selling it. Like Phil mentioned, it is probably me that is the problem ;-)

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
I've had it happen years ago on some soprano pieces. It's really a drag and it's the piece (at least it was for me). Different piece- no problem.

·
8,275 Posts
That would definitely be a drag. Might make one question why they were even bothering to play the sax. Thinking back, I think maybe I had my lip pinched a few times but somehow it never became a problem.
Hey, Joe, still digging the 'Missing Link'!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts