Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! I've recently alternating between Rico Reserve and Vandoren V.12 reeds, and I think they're both great reeds for my clarinet playing. I have been using Traditional Vandorens on Eb clarinet ever since i started the instrument, and I find these reeds way too bright sounding, and very resistant in the upper register, despite the reeds being half a thickness below my Bb reeds. For a little experiment, I put one of my Reserve reeds on the Eb mouthpiece, and ended up getting an amazing performance from it on a B44 mouthpiece. The only problem was that getting the reed on the mouthpiece was a hassle, and since the reed was too long for the mouthpiece, it ended up getting slightly dented in by the barrel. I love the way these Bb reeds perform on my Eb, and I think it would be a good way to save money, so how can I cut these reeds to fit on my Eb mouthpiece? I tried using normal scissors on one of my dead reeds, and ended up slicing the whole reed in half! What can I do?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there any way to do this without spending money? Are there any common house-hold tools i can use?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,121 Posts
is there any way to do this without spending money? Are there any common house-hold tools i can use?
I use a coping saw. Your local hardware store should be able to sell you one that isn't too expensive.
a quick ebay search will show a lot of affordable results.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
One of the easiest solutions is to use pruning shears. They make a nice quick and clean cut.

One option is also to remove the barrel ring at the top of the barrel and it will give a standard Bb reed a little more clearance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
one company that I go to for all my bell and barrel specific needs is Backun. I have been using a Traditional Style Backun Bell and Barrel setup on my Bb clarinet for a few years now. Recently though, I started playing Eb clarinet, and encountered the same situation as you. I liked Bb reeds but they were too long. Turns out, Backun already had a solution. All of their Eb barrels are partially flat-cut on one side to compensate for a longer reed, as most professional Eb clarinetists use Bb reeds. These barrels are pricey, as they are handmade and are usually either cocobola or tulip wood. But they are totally worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts