Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Formerly 1958SelmerMarkVI
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008-10-28 07.29.52.jpg 2008-10-28 07.30.05.jpg

Got a kick out of this "Tu-Way Reed" I found in an old sax case. Not sure if it was a novelty or a serious product. It also says "Cut Reed Bill in Half"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,006 Posts
Innovative! No reason it wouldn't work. That's not to say its feasible, just technically viable. I'm sure that was a real product but based on the fact that nobody has ever heard of the thing, the sax-playing public must have totally rejected the idea.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,433 Posts
***?!

I wonder if they came with a pad to serve as the missing part of the reed, so as to make the ligature hold it on clean?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Uncanny. Well, there's French cut and there's American cut. This one must be a Siamese cut.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
Never seen anything like it! There used to be someone on this site who was compiling photos of reeds for an online "Reed Museum" — this one should definitely be there. I'll bet a Rovner or one of those flexible mesh ligs would work well. Or some O-rings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,438 Posts
So can I order one or is that two. I’m so confused I can’t count.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,458 Posts
ingenious.

This also show that in the past there was space for crazy ideas ( although I don’t think this is as crazy as it may seem) which nowadays aren’t around. Makes me also think that in the past there were products which were advocating thrift rather than creating waste.
There were reeds with holes and reeds with grooves so why not this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts