Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone describe the Cut of Rigotti Gold tenor reeds? In other words, thicker tip, thicker heart , thinner tip etc. I realize that the consistency will be variable from reed to reed , but just as a general idea of their cut. Some have suggested that they are (or play like Vandoren v-16 etc ) yet I don't find them similar at all. I think (in general ) v-16 have more meat in the tip and play fuller especially in the top end of the horn. Any input on the actual Cut of these is appreciated

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,495 Posts
Someone else might be able to give you a more concise answer, but since you mention my two favorite reeds and the ones I've played most (V16 & Rigotti Gold), I'll give you my take on them. I played V16s for many years until I discovered RG about 5 years ago and I now prefer RG.

I think your observation is correct in that V16 reeds have a bit thicker tip and they run slightly harder (V16 2.5 seems about equivalent to RG 3 light). I'm not sure the the V16s play with a fuller tone, but maybe a bit darker. RG is a pretty bright reed (I call it 'lively') but not overly so, and they vary in that respect. I also find RG reeds to be a bit more consistent and responsive than V16s. Maybe they seem more responsive because the tip is not quite as thick? Still, overall the two brands are similar.

Now this topic has come up, I think I'll pull out a few V16s and see if I still like them (I have a couple boxes stored away).

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I find them very similar to rico orange box but a little higher quality maybe. Both are my favorite reeds. Like JL I would put them on the bright side with a nice amount of buzz. I think their tip and vamp tend to be a little thinner than a lot of other reeds. I play large chamber darker peices, so it's a nice match I think.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Did Rigotti recently split/create a second reed? They have Gold and now Jazz I believe. or am I missing something?

Anyone with experience of both? Ive been using the Gold but really think they do not last long (3s). I like them but unhappy with lifespan, though consistent.

(fwiw, I tried a single Alexander Superial yellow box... I used to like them and thought I'd try it. Maybe it was a one off dud, but man, it was a DUD. It looked just fine with sunlight visual check of body/cane)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I think Gold and Jazz are the same, just different branding. I just compared a bunch of reeds I have sitting in my drawer, and the thing I notice is this:
Rigotti Gold - thin tip, but thicker at the beginning of the heart
D'Addario Select Jazz - slightly thicker tip than Rigotti Gold, otherwise very similar
Rico Orange Box - thin tip, but also noticeably thinner at the beginning of the heart
Rigotti Queen - like Rigotti Gold but thicker tip. Closer to the Select Jazz, but even thicker.

This is just a few reeds per style, but it's pretty consistent from what I can see. Sorry no Vandorens, as I have never gotten on with them for saxophone. (Clarinet is another matter!)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I find them very similar to rico orange box but a little higher quality maybe. Both are my favorite reeds. Like JL I would put them on the bright side with a nice amount of buzz. I think their tip and vamp tend to be a little thinner than a lot of other reeds. I play large chamber darker peices, so it's a nice match I think.
Yes. What Pontius sayeth. I hope he is not Pontius Pilate. If so, I take back what I sayeth.
Also what Skeller sayeth speaks truth.
Of the Vandoren reeds I have found the Rigotti "Gold", "J**z" etc. to be similar to the Java reed.
Beware the Rigotti strength judges. They do not always speak truth, as in you buy a box of 2 1/2, marked and packaged as such, and find out they are 3 1/2... They will always be great reeds and very consistent within the box, but not as marked...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone else might be able to give you a more concise answer, but since you mention my two favorite reeds and the ones I've played most (V16 & Rigotti Gold), I'll give you my take on them. I played V16s for many years until I discovered RG about 5 years ago and I now prefer RG.

I think your observation is correct in that V16 reeds have a bit thicker tip and they run slightly harder (V16 2.5 seems about equivalent to RG 3 light). I'm not sure the the V16s play with a fuller tone, but maybe a bit darker. RG is a pretty bright reed (I call it 'lively') but not overly so, and they vary in that respect. I also find RG reeds to be a bit more consistent and responsive than V16s. Maybe they seem more responsive because the tip is not quite as thick? Still, overall the two brands are similar.

Now this topic has come up, I think I'll pull out a few V16s and see if I still like them (I have a couple boxes stored away).
What I have been noticing is that the v-16 for me (I use 2 1/2 ) have been lasting longer , playing darker and fuller (especially in the palm keys and up) than some of the Rigotti golds I have tried. I first tried Rigotti gold 2 1/2 strong, got soft too fast and too thin up top. Went to 3 lights, better but still thinner up top . I then tried 3 medium and thought these were closer to v-16 2 1/2 which is why I was questioning the actual Cut (and maybe consistency of the Rigotti golds). They are very good reeds and play right out of the box pretty much, but I think I prefer the v-16 , that is just me .

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. What Pontius sayeth. I hope he is not Pontius Pilate. If so, I take back what I sayeth.
Also what Skeller sayeth speaks truth.
Of the Vandoren reeds I have found the Rigotti "Gold", "J**z" etc. to be similar to the Java reed.
Beware the Rigotti strength judges. They do not always speak truth, as in you buy a box of 2 1/2, marked and packaged as such, and find out they are 3 1/2... They will always be great reeds and very consistent within the box, but not as marked...
I think you are spot on about the Rigotti Strengths. I have played 2 1/2 strong that played like some 3 light and 3 mediums. This stuff drives me crazy.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
That’s what I’ve found. Rigotti reminds me of when Ricos where nice and bright and LaVoz a little darker and fuller.
It seems for a minute the Rico Jazz Select felt like the old LaVoz then they went in the crapper when they rebranded.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,019 Posts
Can anyone describe the Cut of Rigotti Gold tenor reeds? In other words, thicker tip, thicker heart , thinner tip etc. I realize that the consistency will be variable from reed to reed , but just as a general idea of their cut. Some have suggested that they are (or play like Vandoren v-16 etc ) yet I don't find them similar at all. I think (in general ) v-16 have more meat in the tip and play fuller especially in the top end of the horn. Any input on the actual Cut of these is appreciated
Physically... the cut is similar to the Vandoren Java Green Box.

The Rigotti numbering system includes numbers (2, 2,5, 3, 3,5... etc etc) and a strenght degree (Light, Medium and Strong)

The strenght degree is the type of the cut:
- Light: thinner tip
- Medium: normal tip
- Strong: thicker tip

The number is the density of the cane, which determinates the bending resistance.

(First they cut the cane... then a comparator sets the number on reeds: a 2M, a 3M or a 3,5M are physically the same in terms of dimension... but the cane is progressively stiffer).

This system allows Rigotti to waste less reeds during the production.

I'm pretty sure that to make the reed (they made for the other Premium brands) that consistant... they sure have to make a strict selection (for those reeds)... this means a lot of waste (of reeds).
So for the reeds stamped Rigotti they find a system that allows to save more reeds from the final selection/quality control.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Physically... the cut is similar to the Vandoren Java Green Box.

The Rigotti numbering system includes numbers (2, 2,5, 3, 3,5... etc etc) and a strenght degree (Light, Medium and Strong)

The strenght degree is the type of the cut:
- Light: thinner tip
- Medium: normal tip
- Strong: thicker tip

The number is the density of the cane, which determinates the bending resistance.

(First they cut the cane... then a comparator sets the number on reeds: a 2M, a 3M or a 3,5M are physically the same in terms of dimension... but the cane is progressively stiffer).

This system allows Rigotti to waste less reeds during the production.

I'm pretty that to make the reed (they made for the other Premium brands) that consistant... they sure have to make a strict selection (for those reeds)... this means a lot of waste (of reeds).
So for the reeds stamped Rigotti they find a system that allows to save more reeds from the final selection/quality control.

Thanks for that, it is what I was looking for in response to my question. This is probably why I have been preferring stronger strengths in the Rigotti golds (3 m) etc. I realize this is all subjective and varies from player to player and mouthpiece to mouthpiece etc.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s what I’ve found. Rigotti reminds me of when Ricos where nice and bright and LaVoz a little darker and fuller.
It seems for a minute the Rico Jazz Select felt like the old LaVoz then they went in the crapper when they rebranded.
I agree with that, I can't get the RJS to work for me anymore lately, they all seem dull

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,019 Posts
It's all subjective when you talk about reed choices...

With Rigotti reeds, everything becomes even more tricky: they have too much levels of strenght... and they are not that consistant (among a box of 10 reeds).

I'm still sticking with Rico/D'Addario stuff... both for sound/tone/response and reliability.
I also use French stuff, like Marca Jazz reeds and german stuff like the AW "722" reeds... both bright reeds.

The "722" are killing if you come from Rigottis and you are not satisfied at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts