Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I decided to buy a Runyon Custom (not the jazz) with the spoiler, to replace my hand-customized yamaha 4c (I'm primarily a tenor player, and according to most of my teachers and peers I'm pretty good, not to be vain, so please don't take my alto setup as if I'm a noob)... I had anticipated an Art Pepper-ish sound, but I was pretty disappointed. The tone of it was stuffy and just plain uninteresting. So I took a look at the mouthpiece itself, and noticed that the inner side walls were flat, just like the 4c, which was probably causing the stuffiness.

But anyways, I went into my workshop, grabbed a dremel tool and very carefully buffed out and rounded the inner side walls. Then I took it for a test drive... And OH MY GOD, what a difference!!!! It sounded even better than what I was anticipating (especially with the spoiler)! Nice and round and warm on the bottom end and kept the warmness all the way up the range of the horn, yet still has the ability to SQUEAL in the altissimo :D

Just thought I'd share my experience, I know there are quite a few people out there who were disappointed with their Runyons (not to say that everyone was).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
the custom dosnt have enough for me -i prefer the jazz custom. -just right. i can play rock and roll with out the spoiler

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never tried the Jazz one and don't really plan to anytime soon... I'm happy for ya though!
The Custom with the rounded side walls is great, it plays more like a Meyer than anything else... Probably not too great for rock and roll but just right for post-bob and hard-bop :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts