Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I own a custom EX alto, which I purchased about 1 1/2 years ago. When I ordered it, I wasn't sure if I could order the horn unlacquered, because it didn't seem like an option. I recently was browsing some threads and noticed that there are some users who own an unlacquered EX alto. I was wondering if that was an option that you could purchase the horn that way, or if they sent it to a sax shop to get the lacquer stripped or something, and if so around how much does it cost? I've heard good things about having an unlacquered horn, but I'm not sure of the actual benefits of doing so, and was wondering if you guys could help clear some of this up for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Search "finishes. lacquer, plating". We've discussed this topic to death. The only agreement here is that an unlacquered horn will look very old, very soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Administrator note

Does anyone know how much it would cost at a regular repair shop to get a sax stripped of its lacquer, and whether or not it will damage the horn? I'm still debating whether or not to delacquer my alto...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Contact your local shop - they will be the ones to set their price, not us.

If they do such work, ask for references or to see their work. Whether it damages the horn is up to them and their technique.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts