Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I will be getting some custom ear plugs by Westone.

https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/es49-custom

So back story....
I was at a big band gig and the lead alto uses ear plugs. An ENT game up and commented on them at which point I joined the conversation. The ENT said she would get me Custom ear plugs at cost. So these are supposed to have the sound be as clear as possible and are for musician or concert goers. Has anybody else tried something like this or this particular brand/model?

Biggest question has to do with decibals. There are three DB lowering options. 9, 15, and 25. I don’t want to get the feeling of my ears being blocked or crammed so I am possibly going with 15. I am also completely ignorant of this topic.

Anybody with experience please help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts

So back story....
I was at a big band gig and the lead alto uses ear plugs. An ENT game up and commented on them at which point I joined the conversation. The ENT said she would get me Custom ear plugs at cost. So these are supposed to have the sound be as clear as possible and are for musician or concert goers. Has anybody else tried something like this or this particular brand/model?

Biggest question has to do with decibals. There are three DB lowering options. 9, 15, and 25. I don’t want to get the feeling of my ears being blocked or crammed so I am possibly going with 15. I am also completely ignorant of this topic.

Anybody with experience please help!

Thanks!
I have them ( the custom made )& love em, get all three.. I use the 25's @ the range & hard rock stuff , the 15's at moderately loud venues & the 9's for home practice on drums & sax
The 9's are best for me to just knock the edge off without my ears feeling blocked.
I know, there not cheap, I bought mine over a couple years time.. but I have tinnitus & need to protect whats left

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carl, can you describe the difference in sound between the 9 and the 15? Do you lose a lot more saxophone sound/tone hearing with the 15 over the 9?
I don’t think I play many places that would need the 25. Thank goodness! :-D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like the 9's the best, I don't loose any tone with any of them though. .. the 15's & the 25' s don't let me feel the sound like the 9's do.. if that makes sense.
I wear the 15's & the 25's only when I feel the volumes in the room are to much for my hearing. my ear drum will flutter when sound pressure gets to a certain point.

The 9's are the best for me when drumming because they attenuate the ring out & let me hear the nuances of the hits without the ringing and still give me a good feel

I wear the 15's when gigging with guitar people, but again based on volume..I go to the 9's mostly.
25's are for when I'm at the FOH for a loud band

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts

I have those exact ear plugs, with the 9, 15 and 30db full plug filters. They were bought through my audiologist who did a custom mold for me. (I also have Westone ES30 custom molded in-ear-monitors as well).

The 9 and 15db filters are flat response filters that just attenuate the sound by 9 and 15 db respectively. They are fine for wearing during loud practice sessions or shows where you want to hear everything, just at a lower volume. The 30db plugs that I have are full attenuation and stop pretty much everything from getting though. I use them when shooting or running my chainsaw, mowers, etc.. and occasionally if I am working (not mixing) very loud concerts.

My advice is to NOT go through your ENT doctor. Go to an audiologist and get a real full range hearing exam conducted in an anechoic chamber, and they can discuss your options with you.

Be advised that with any earplugs, you are going to still hear yourself playing saxophone through bone conductions from your jaw and skull. But it will sound different because you are changing the balance of acoustic sound from the instrument versus direct conduction. So they will take some getting used to. I advise you to practice and rehearse with them in before going out and doing any shows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts