Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I´m curious about trying my Custom 855 alto sax with either the G1 or G3 neck. I still have the original neck, an M1 (that´s what is says prineted there), and I´ve always wondering how good or bad I can get the sound using a new neck.

Unfortunately, I don´t have the oportunity to try them, so, I need to buy one, but before I do, I would like to hear your opinions. What should I expect from those necks? I´ve heard the G1 gives a more round sound, less bright (which would be nice for me, because that´s my issue), but some others say that I should buy the "silver plated" one. What about the G3?

I know there´s not an answer for my question, but I´m sure your opinions will be such a great help.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Each neck is different, it seems. I have no knowledge of the Yamaha necks but would like to comment about your question in general. There was recently a lot of discussion on SOTW about the re-designed Selmer Ref 54 alto necks. I bought one from Dave Kessler, even after he told me personally that it wouldn't work for me. I guess he knew me better than I knew myself.

Still, I was looking for what others had experienced with their new necks. I did not have the low-end gurgles, though - and that was supposed to be one thing the new neck corrected. Another claim was that the new neck caused the horn to have more focus. THAT was what I wanted.

The new re-designed Selmer Ref 54 neck did not work for me at all. Low end would not speak and the whole horn took on a stuffiness that was not good. Dave Kessler was gracious about the return.

So, try the new necks if you like, but try to do it where you can return it. What you've heard is only that. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
You will be taking a chance. The 855 is different than the 875 and 875ex that the G1/G3 necks were designed for. But, they might work great too. As I recall (used to own an 855 alto) the bore was slightly smaller on the 855 than other customs. So the neck may not even fit in the receiver.

In general, if I have found a replacement neck for a sax that improves the tone or volume, there will be some trade off in intonation… for the worse. For example, if I'm playing lead alto in a big band, i use a neck which is louder than the stock neck but slightly worse intonation. It's worth it to hear myself better in a loud situation. In your case, if the neck will fit your horn, the intonation might be fine because both necks are made by Yamaha.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought Yamaha made all altos the same size... :( A friend of mine has a YAS-62, and he bought the G1 silver plated neck. It fited OK in his horn, I´m hoping it will in mine too. He told me that he used to have a very thin and edgy sound on the high end of the saxophone, and that neck was the solution. Unfortunately, my friend lives very far away from my town, so I can´t try the neck. And also, I don´t know if a YAS-62 is very diferent from my 855. I have the same issue, when I play from high A and above, the sound becomes thin and edgy. There´s not an uniform sound from the entire range of the instrument. You notice very well when playing in the middle range and then when going a little higher the sound changes a little (the color, the tone) as I just described.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just buy the neck from wwbw or musicians friend. They have a 45 day return policy. You get a whole month to try it out and return it for a full refund. You have to remember to keep the original packaging in tact and to keep your receipt, etc.

I'm using a G3 gold plated neck and I love it. But I have a 875ex so I guess it's a different case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts