Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm just curious, I've never seen anybody talking about the Custom 855, nor good or bad, is it a bad horn? It is discointinued right now, but I still have mine, and I wonder if it is a good or bad horn. I'm still not 100% satisfied with it's sound.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi

I'm just curious, I've never seen anybody talking about the Custom 855, nor good or bad, is it a bad horn? It is discointinued right now, but I still have mine, and I wonder if it is a good or bad horn. I'm still not 100% satisfied with it's sound.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Kenneth Tse seems to be a fan, so I'm sure they're not bad horns by any means.
I'll be honest though, he's the only person I've ever seen that plays one.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with the 855. If you're looking for a different sound and you've tried changing your MP setup, then it just might not be the best horn for you. That leaves you to deal with the age-old question of which horn IS, though, and this can really get distracting unless you've got a sense of what you're looking for. Personally, I prefer to work on getting better on the horn I have, while I wait for something better to find ME.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Seems to me that several people around here have owned one. Didn't someone recently have one for sale in the marketplace section, and then he decided to keep it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
it was SaxyAcoustician...I've heard good things about theses saxes over the years...

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have one of these (that I'm looking to sell). It is a really good horn and the best yamaha alto I've owned...out of several 62's and an 82Z. It reminds me more of a mark vi than a yamaha in the way that it plays. The keywork is fine and the bore gives it a nice clean sound that cuts pretty well if you play it like a vi. I've never played an 875 but it definitely has more potential to play jazz than a 62. I've kept mine as a backup to my VI but I need the cash so I'm getting rid of it. There seems to be very few of them in the US market so it is hard to gauge how people feel about them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts