Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that I am going to be travelling the US for work pretty extensively starting in June. I don't want to be horn-free for a 6 month time period, so I am starting to look at curvys simply because they are a great size for the travelling I'll be doing.

Ebay is full of $200 horns. While I am looking to get a horn pretty much on the cheap, I am still looking for something that I can take out to play in public if I have the opportunity to. I currently play an antiqua sop as a secondary/tertiary horn which I got from Kessler a couple of years ago and have been happy with it.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Trying to stay under a grand for a working horn.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
297 Posts
For myself, I'm currently looking at the Bauhaus Walstein saxes coming out of mainland China. You can find some reviews of them on here and several people seem to think they are a really good horn for the buck. Their curvy sop goes for $875 plus shipping. There are only two dealers in the U.S., Russ Becker in CT., russbecker.com and one in (I think) California, justsaxes.com (they were in New Orleans but I'm pretty sure they moved to the west coast). You can also buy one from a UK company, woodwindandbrass.co.uk. Hope that helps. There are plenty of cheap ones out there but the BW horns have at least gotten some good reviews here on SOTW. Best of luck!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Check with Bruce Bailey to see if he has any more of his horns available. I would recommend one for your purposes! You can hear one played here

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not doing it anymore as I am too busy right now with the flute business. Thanks for the advice rjent!
That is too bad brother, great little horns!

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
For myself, I'm currently looking at the Bauhaus Walstein saxes coming out of mainland China. You can find some reviews of them on here and several people seem to think they are a really good horn for the buck. Their curvy sop goes for $875 plus shipping. There are only two dealers in the U.S., Russ Becker in CT., russbecker.com and one in (I think) California, justsaxes.com (they were in New Orleans but I'm pretty sure they moved to the west coast). You can also buy one from a UK company, woodwindandbrass.co.uk. Hope that helps. There are plenty of cheap ones out there but the BW horns have at least gotten some good reviews here on SOTW. Best of luck!
This is a good recommendation. I tried out the BW curvie a few months back. It was very good,l though I preferred the straight. More to the point, when I saw the case for it, my first thoughts were "Wow the case is so compact, it would be fantastic for a travel horn". My own curvie, which is just a simple LA Sax sits in a much more voluminous case. Both the entry level BW curved and straight sops are very good, with the straight being quite exceptional, as Pete Thomas will tell you.

Myself, I travel with a cheapie but excellent Jupiter clarinet that comes in an unbelievably tiny plastic case. Not that I travel much though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts