Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried e-mailing and calling a couple different brands with no luck, but is there anyway I can get a special ordered double case for Curved Soprano and Alto? Does anybody know of any custom case companies or even by chance own such a case?
I would love something in the style of BAM cases. Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
I'm thinking you could use a tenor case with a custom-made inner tray. A traypak alto case would not have quite enough room for the curvy, but it should work with a tenor or even a new C melody case (there is at least one maker doing them).

I'm thinking you may have to DIY. Make plywood walls inside for the curvy compartment. Cover them in plushy fabric. Drill screws thru the outside of the case to secure them. Then cut and shape a few layers of that really thick, springy sheet foam as a "bed" for the horn. (Plushy fabric covering optional.)

The alto shape is basically the tenor/C melody shape, but smaller, so you could use some more sheet foam to pad it down to alto size. The idea of course is to stop the horns from moving at all inside the case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,443 Posts
Questions about two/three-horn single cases comes up frequently here on SOTW. And I always respond with a cautionary note - over the years I've found it easier to pack and carry smaller single cases than monster-cases with two or more instruments in them. I say this after schlepping a three-horn (sop, alto, clarinet) case around the Sacramento Dixieland Jubilee one year. I think my arms were stretched an extra three inches after that caper - and sore!

I ordered my three-horn case from Ed's Cases somewhere in the eastern U.S. YEARS ago. He used to advertise in Saxophone Journal and I contacted him. The result wasn't like BAM, but it was a vinyl-covered hard-wood shell case that was nice enough - just too darned heavy. I have no idea if he still is in business. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
You could make it a backpack case and save a little W&T on your arms.

You could even bungee your curvy case to one side of your alto case, if it came to that. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll just settle for a BAM trekking for my alto.
Too bad they don't do curved soprano cases.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Multiple horn cases are a terrible idea for many reasons. Some that come to mind-if a catastrophe occurs-multi horn damage. If a theft occurs-multiple horns gone-then there's the weight thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts