Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awesome clip of Curtis Stigers playing an Emmylou Harris tune. The original is a really good tune, but this version is smokin'. Curtis had a version on his website (autoplay) you heard when you visited the web page, but its gone now. Sounded like an album version. Found this live clip recently. Thought you all would enjoy it. Didn't know much about Curtis until I looked him up after hearing a song he did for the "Sons of Anarchy" TV show, which is a great redo of "John the Revelator." Anyhow, found his site, heard this song and recognized it. Seems that he used to do smooth jazz and pop-styled stuff, but now does more straight ahead. Check it out. Nothing very revolutionary in his playing, just tastefully done, and well executed with lots of energy and soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQ-Y0WKkbk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Really love this - right up my alley

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Great video. The guys look like bank clerks taking a break. It is always amazing to hear an acoustic bass groove like this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's a great video,he really is some player.I don't know what his setup is but I believe he plays Yamahas.I saw him in concert a few years ago and he did something I've never seen another sax player doing,when he picked up his sax from the stand to start to play he picked it up by the neck with one hand and hooked on with the other one.He must have had the neck screw super tight or had a bolt through it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
It is always amazing to hear an acoustic bass groove like this.
... and a drummer laying off the cymbals... cool sound with brushes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Cool! Never heard of him. Thanks!

IMO: This is the kind of "pops" that really belongs at a "jazz" festival. I have to say though, I hate guys who can actually wear those tight euro-suits :)

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I'll probably catch some crap for this, but his saxophone playing does NOTHING for me. Average at best. I hear local guys sound better than him on a regular basis. Having said that, his singing is GREAT.......the tune is great, the band is very happenin'. He should hire someone else to play tenor though....

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
What the hell you on about? lol. Curtis is a great tenor saxophonist and singer! He also plays alto sax, as well as clarinet & guitar. Just because he's not to your liking doesn't mean he's rubbish. I like him anyway. I play guitar, but am thinking about taking up the sax, most probably alto.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I always dug Curtis. I think he has the whole package: great vocals, sax playing and stage presence. I bought his cd when it first came out, a bit on the commercial side but I still dug it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here's the best I can do - singing lead and playing tenor - my new CD comes out in May called "Sideman Sez". Curtis has definitely been an inspiration.

http://snd.sc/H7w9hA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts