Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at Ref 36 horns off and on for a while. Right now I am wondering what their value is currently. They don't come up for sale often. I watch ebay and craigslist, which is about useless for a horn like this, but don't see them very frequently.

If you were to purchase a Ref 36 in very good condition today what price range would you expect to see?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
In pricing what is good for you might not be for someone else. I have two 36's and was able to get a slight discount on both only because I have a friend that is part of the Selmer family. But in all honesty the price did not matter much to me, after I decided the 36 was the horn I wanted to perform on I would have purchased them anyway.

Back to pricing...can you justify it, are you a working pro making your living with it (tax deductions), are you simply a weekend player or enthusiast, can you write a check easily or do you have to consider family and obligations, on and on and only you can answer.

One fact does remain, they are not going to drop in price any time soon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
As you said, they have low production numbers and there is little 'secondary market' established for them. Yet they are among modern Selmers and there is plenty of market for them. I would lump their modern horns together to get an idea of what the market bears for modern Selmers. The scarcity of a Ref 36 doesn't necessarily mean it's more valuable. Maybe it means few people like them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback thus far. I will play test one soon and was really just hoping to learn what they've sold for recently. I am just trying to get an idea of current market values in case I find this particular horn attractive. If any one knows of actual recent values please share, I would appreciate that very much!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,945 Posts
I sold one several years ago for $4200 after using it for about 5 years. Mine was setup by Randy Jones and had a Walt Johnson case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I paid $4100.00 for one used and promptly sold it in 6 months for $3500.00.....I didn't think much of it, I was way underwhelmed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thomas,

I have read so many complimentary comments about the Ref 36, that's why I'm interested in trying it out. That doesn't mean I'll like it either. But I haven't read many comments from people who say they were not impressed. Care to share a little more about why you didn't connect with it? Do you typically play Selmer's? What is your "go-to" horn now? Thanks!

·
2,309 Posts
Tonic
Just go play a few, that will end your speculation either way. If you want to get more views on the 36 or 54 from people who play them here is one of many threads on this forum (and there are many more elsewhere);

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?144074-Selmer-Reference-Club

But of course the last thing you want to do is make a decision from "opinions" on a public forum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I have read so many complimentary comments about the Ref 36, that's why I'm interested in trying it out.
I've tried quite a few over the years, and they vary significantly. The early ones seemed to have a more narrow opening at the cork end of the neck as compared to the other new Selmer tenors and I wasn't really impressed with any of them. Then after a couple years of production, I found a couple really nice ones where I didn't have to wrap paper over the neck cork for a decent fit. Recently though, I've been underwhelmed by new Selmers across the board. So it's definitely a horn you'll want to try before you buy, or at least purchase on approval.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have read several threads discussing the Reference horns, I only asked Thomas about his impressions since he brought up his diospleasure with it. However, the purpose of this post was to learn about market values. Of course, I do appreciate any further sharing of experience with the Ref 36 as I am somewhat interested in it. I have never purchased a horn sight-unseen, I can't imagine doing that with such an expensive horn as this one. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bought my near-mint Ref 36 with two necks for $3200 a couple years ago off Ebay (sight unseen). I blew $750 in a repad/overhaul and solder job, and flipped the neck I liked least to recoup $200. It's a nice player, with decent ergos (Oleg palm key risers help), but honestly I like my Barone better.

I put the 36 up on DC-area Craigslist for $3800, with no takers, or reasonable counter-offers.

These are great times to be buying a used horn, but rough times to be selling....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
These are great times to be buying a used horn, but rough times to be selling...
Well, if 2Tonic is anywhere near Maryland, maybe there's a deal to be had. I'll vouch for you 007.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
I have been looking at Ref 36 horns off and on for a while. Right now I am wondering what their value is currently. They don't come up for sale often. I watch ebay and craigslist, which is about useless for a horn like this, but don't see them very frequently.

If you were to purchase a Ref 36 in very good condition today what price range would you expect to see?
The reason the 36 horns don't show up often for sale, I think, is that most of those who buy them keep them. Considering their good qualities, they are, IMO, better (monetary) purchases than other modern and Taiwanese horns, say M'Lady or P Mauriat. And as far as resale is concerned, the brand Selmer still fetch more cash than an M'Lady or JK does.

After the disaster of the Mark VII and the so-so quality of the Super Action 80, I think the only horn that can really help Selmer rebuild its great reputation is the 36. For some reason, though, the Ref. 54, which is based on the Mark VI is not getting the same favor that the 36 does.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
And like many good things in life, more folks will come to appreciate a horn like the 36 years after the 36 is stopped being made. It is then that the prices of 36's will go up. Remember how much (or little) the purple-logoed Yamaha 62 sops go for when this model first came out? And how much they go for today?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
After the disaster of the Mark VII and the so-so quality of the Super Action 80
What disaster?
Both my fully engraved VII and Serie III tenors smoke.

·
2,294 Posts
After the disaster of the Mark VII and the so-so quality of the Super Action 80, I think the only horn that can really help Selmer rebuild its great reputation is the 36.
At the very best, that's a highly subjective statement.

For some reason, though, the Ref. 54, which is based on the Mark VI is not getting the same favor that the 36 does.
An opinion based on what? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that sales of Ref 54 tenors exceeded those of the Ref 36. Certainly true in the UK at least.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
After the disaster of the Mark VII and the so-so quality of the Super Action 80, I think the only horn that can really help Selmer rebuild its great reputation is the 36. For some reason, though, the Ref. 54, which is based on the Mark VI is not getting the same favor that the 36 does.
What disaster?
Both my fully engraved VII and Serie III tenors smoke.
Saxphil,
Don't let Yellowhorn's statement get you too hot. He shows that he has had little if any experience with either horn and or is repeating what he's heard and believes to be true. Of course neither of the Reference horns are "based" on either the VI or the BA. Selmer never says that anywhere, they advertise that they evoke the "spirit" of the VI and the BA.

At the very best, that's a highly subjective statement.

An opinion based on what? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that sales of Ref 54 tenors exceeded those of the Ref 36. Certainly true in the UK at least.

I agree Mike F. but his statement is subjective based I wonder on what experience with either of the horns he considers disasters.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Tonic
Just go play a few, that will end your speculation either way. If you want to get more views on the 36 or 54 from people who play them here is one of many threads on this forum (and there are many more elsewhere);

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?144074-Selmer-Reference-Club

But of course the last thing you want to do is make a decision from "opinions" on a public forum.
+1, try as many examples you can find. But also A-B them with as many other "pro" horns you can find. Your decision will then be clear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts