Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear colleagues,

after reading this forum every now and then for a couple of years, I finally created myself an account, so: Hi everybody!

There are a couple of inspiring lists of great players on the web and in this forum, too. What I have not found so far are lists of current rock bands with a saxophone (as a solo instrument, not as part of a horn section). As the sax is not necessarily standard in today's rock bands, or rather it is quite the reverse, I would find such a (continuously updated) list great.

If I have missed a respective thread, I would be happy if someone could post a link. Otherwise, I will be glad to contribute my share.

Best regards,
Andy

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
lists of current rock bands with a saxophone
I thought rock was dead?
Were there any after Springsteen?

Hardly current, I'm so out of it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome! This place ROCKS. I like this thread; I'll have to check out some of those bands myself. Huey Lewis and the News has some horn in it. Check out "Trouble in Paradise" AWESOME sax solos in that one. :D

·
7,216 Posts
Huey like the boss, is old news.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,022 Posts
Can't beat Jeff Coffin with Dave Mathhews Band

·
7,216 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Although not really current, two bands that are worth checking out are Morphine (Dana Colley) and Agents of Good Roots (JC Kuhl). Plug time: I am doing a lecture at the Navy Symposium on this very subject, saxophonists who are organic members of groups in other genres of music besides jazz.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Killers: The saxophone played quite a role in a number of great songs from the last two albums. Unfortunately their sax player Tommy Marth died this April. I haven't had a chance to listen to their new album, yet.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Bob Reynolds with John Mayer.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Jeff Coffin is playing on the current tour with The Dave Matthews Band. They were in Chicago on Dec. 5th and at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on Dec. 7th.
I saw him playing a performance clinic at Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill on Dec. 6th with local guys on guitar, bass and drums. That was a real treat to be there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fitz and the Tantrums
Eilen Jewel
Joss Stone
Imelda May
Devil Doll
Fitz and the Tantrums are great. One of my favorite bands.

All of you fellow music aficionados need to check out these two bands as well:

John Newman - up and coming british artist. I'm not sure the name of the saxophone player, but he's killer

Ezra Furman - literally know nothing about this person. Just listened to the song "My Zero" though and oh my God

If you like what you hear, please feel free to stop by my blog: www.bearsbeatsbattlestars.com. Yes, I am soliciting views, but no I am not a bot. I'd just like to share what I hear with more people.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts