Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be considered the "modern" or "current" era for Rampone horns? For example, my sopranino is from 2011, and through talking with R&C directly I know they made a couple modifications since then, but nothing major. And I know they introduced new tenor (and alto?) necks a couple years ago, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with older R1 Jazz horns.

Basically my question is, is there much of a difference in quality or specs between earlier and more recent R1 Jazz horns? Would an early '00s R1J be comparable to one off the shelf today, or have they dramatically improved in a short period of time? Just wondering how focused my search should be.

Reactions: BrianMitchellBrody

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,443 Posts
If you were playing an older model, would you sell it to buy the newest one?

That was what I was up against with my Borgani tenors - but it turned out they played equally well. With the Borgani, I found that the necks were NOT interchangeable and was drawn to think there was a difference in bore geometry - turns out that it was not the case. The tenon was changed, but the bore remained the same.

It would be interesting to learn how profound were the changes in the R&C during that same period.

Reactions: Eulipion2

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,502 Posts
I did some preliminary research when I purchase an R1 (not jazz) soprano but did not find out what the differences between the R1 and R1 Jazz were if at all. I've never played a smoother soprano sax in my life and mine still needs an overhaul. The more I delve into this R+C the better it gets. If they made any improvements I can only imagine how good the R1 Jazz would be.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you were playing an older model, would you sell it to buy the newest one?

That was what I was up against with my Borgani tenors - but it turned out they played equally well. With the Borgani, I found that the necks were NOT interchangeable and was drawn to think there was a difference in bore geometry - turns out that it was not the case. The tenon was changed, but the bore remained the same.
I wouldn't upgrade just to get the newest one, but looking for my first R&C of a specific voice, I'd certainly look for the most "advanced" and/or highest quality version. The only neck upgrade that's actually worked for me was replacing my G1 neck with the V1 on my EX alto, and given how difficult to find (and probably expensive) the R&C necks are, I'm in no rush to try them. Anyway, I've heard mixed reviews about the new necks as to whether they're worth the upgrade. Some say the stock are the best, some like the other models. Eh, maybe someday.

I did some preliminary research when I purchase an R1 (not jazz) soprano but did not find out what the differences between the R1 and R1 Jazz were if at all. I've never played a smoother soprano sax in my life and mine still needs an overhaul. The more I delve into this R+C the better it gets. If they made any improvements I can only imagine how good the R1 Jazz would be.
Out of curiosity, do you know when your soprano was made? And as I understand it, the main difference between the R1 and R1 Jazz is the composition of the brass. I could be very wrong about that, so don't take it as gospel.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,502 Posts
I wouldn't upgrade just to get the newest one, but looking for my first R&C of a specific voice, I'd certainly look for the most "advanced" and/or highest quality version. The only neck upgrade that's actually worked for me was replacing my G1 neck with the V1 on my EX alto, and given how difficult to find (and probably expensive) the R&C necks are, I'm in no rush to try them. Anyway, I've heard mixed reviews about the new necks as to whether they're worth the upgrade. Some say the stock are the best, some like the other models. Eh, maybe someday.

Out of curiosity, do you know when your soprano was made? And as I understand it, the main difference between the R1 and R1 Jazz is the composition of the brass. I could be very wrong about that, so don't take it as gospel.
I think the person who contacted me from R+C told me 2004.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,158 Posts
Any horn called R1 or R1 jazz qualifies as modern Rampone sax , so in reality everything made after 1990 is pretty much the same as now, the other necks were introduced relatively recently and you can buy them to fit your horn, I am not sure of what they would really do for you

As far as I know no soprano made by Rampone & Cazzani is made in two pieces configuration

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the other necks were introduced relatively recently and you can buy them to fit your horn, I am not sure of what they would really do for you
Thanks! And as I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but they're basically the same bore, but the bend is different. Supposedly it affects resistance. I'm not terribly concerned at the moment.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,502 Posts
The R1 I has perhaps the most comfortable ergonomics of the many sopranos I have played over the years with the exception of a Yanigasawa, and it just flat outplays them as well. I am sure I wouldn't trade up if I were offered an R1 Jazz unless it were in gold plate or lacquer. Mine is silver plate.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don’t know why they changed the neck angle, may be even simply for playing comfort
I played my tenor yesterday, and after all this neck talk I looked at it and thought it really looks like my True Tone neck angle! I'll need to do a side-by-side when I get back home next week.
I am sure I wouldn't trade up if I were offered an R1 Jazz unless it were in gold plate or lacquer. Mine is silver plate.
My dream is a curved soprano in either bronze or copper for under $3k, but I'm open to other options if the price is right. For alto, the Two Voices looks nice, but I doubt I could justify the extra expense.

• Love

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,502 Posts
I played my tenor yesterday, and after all this neck talk I looked at it and thought it really looks like my True Tone neck angle! I'll need to do a side-by-side when I get back home next week.

My dream is a curved soprano in either bronze or copper for under $3k, but I'm open to other options if the price is right. For alto, the Two Voices looks nice, but I doubt I could justify the extra expense.
I say buy used but excellent condition. The copper line horn are the most gorgeous horns on the planet but you pay for that premium. If I were in the market for a tenor I might go that route but my Medusa is a fine instrument. I never thought I would play a pro R1 much less own an Italian horn of any sort. It just kind of fell into my lap but I'm finding even before a needed overhaul it feels and plays like a Selmer Paris Level horn with a true warm core and throughout the registers this soprano actually had decent intonation.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Be on the lookout for my upcoming autobiography, "Temptation, and a Decided Lack of Impulse Control: The Eulipion2 Story," coming to a bookstore near you. A nice semi-curved soprano popped up on Ebay. It doesn't check any of my boxes for my desired Rampone soprano -- it's an '06, so more than 10 years old; semi-curved instead of full curvy; and silver plated instead of solid copper; but it was a good price, and is in excellent condition. Now I just have to wait for shipping from Italy. I'll get my copper curvy someday, but this should be good for now.

·
35,443 Posts
Hah! Good for you.

Care to show a link to your purchase? I just finished playing my bent-neck otherwise-straight Borgani Jubilee sop, and still lovin’ this lil’ horn.

I look forward to hearing about your comparo between the Rampone and your Yamaha.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here it is! Got it for a little less than the starting bid. My Impulse Buy

·
35,443 Posts
Sweet!

Hmmmm, I wonder what the mystery mouthpiece will be…

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the link.

Congrats.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,502 Posts
Be on the lookout for my upcoming autobiography, "Temptation, and a Decided Lack of Impulse Control: The Eulipion2 Story," coming to a bookstore near you. A nice semi-curved soprano popped up on Ebay. It doesn't check any of my boxes for my desired Rampone soprano -- it's an '06, so more than 10 years old; semi-curved instead of full curvy; and silver plated instead of solid copper; but it was a good price, and is in excellent condition. Now I just have to wait for shipping from Italy. I'll get my copper curvy someday, but this should be good for now.
I saw that horn. Good buy.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it came yesterday. Super fast shipping from Italy! I've only been able to play it for about 20 minutes today, but my initial impression while A/B-ing with my EX was, "are these even the same kind of horn?" When I compared my R1 Jazz to my 62 tenor, I could definitely hear similarities. The Rampone was dark, spread, "husky," while 62 was dark, focused, a little more refined, but the two weren't so far apart, really.

The differences with the sopranos are much more extreme! The EX is considerably brighter, smoother, and very focused; while the Rampone is dark, spread, a little more "primal." Other than needing a new neck cork and maybe a leak in the low end, this is a fantastic horn! Very different from my EX, they really seem like different instruments.

My Selmer Metal has proven itself to be the closest to my ideal sound yet again (despite my best efforts to dethrone it,) and even more so on the Rampone. I can't wait to give it a go with the classical pieces.

I broke my rule of not spending more than $250 on a mouthpiece and got a new 10MFan Virtuoso, but the bore diameter is a little too wide for my compressed corks (on both horns,) so I struggled to get good intonation. Overall it seemed like a nice piece, but maybe a little too focused, and a little too bright for my tastes. And I really don't want to have to build up the bore with nail polish. Thicker corks aren't an option, as my classical pieces (and the Selmer Metal) tend to go on pretty far.

Pics and a more thorough review and comparison to come.

·
35,443 Posts
Why doesn’t everyone have a roll of plumber’s (teflon/PTFE) tape in their gig bag?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts