Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an A800 and I am wondering if the current production neck will change or improve the sound. Has anyone tried? Do they have different dimension?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
deal: It has been years since I posted this story and I suppose it has long been buried in the size of SOTW now. I bought a new A880 in the late 1980's from Zep Meisner's store in Burbank, CA. I know, not an A800, but I'm thinking that even with marketing claims aside, the 800 and the 880 weren't all THAT different.

Anyway, Zep told me at the time that many buyers of the 880 were adding Selmer Mark VII necks to their 880's. So, I bought a new Mark VII neck from Zep at the same time as I bought the 880. I was living in Montana at the time, so he said he'd fit the neck to the horn and ship it all at once to me.

When the horn arrived, I really liked the Mark VII neck on it - for the tone it added to the horn. Intonation was fine with either neck.

Eventually I handed the horn down to a grandson and he played it through his high school years. However, he preferred the stock neck to the Mark VII neck.

I suppose the bottom line is that while many of us are in constant search of the holy grail, it is all very subjective. I'm guessing that a new neck on your 800 may be better, but you are the only one who can judge that. I'm also guessing that even a new Yanagisawa neck may have to be fitted to your horn just because of the variances in manufacturing tolerances. You'll never know until you acquire one and try to fit it to your horn. Even then, you may not feel/hear much of a difference. You must see for yourself. Good luck. DAVE

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just want to give an update. I bought a bronze neck with underslung octave key. It doesn't fit perfectly but works ok. It REALY opens up the sound and makes the horn more free blowing for both low and high notes. I feel it also adds more dynamic range. However, I have some problem playing high A. It is unstable and very easily goes flat. I only have this problem on high A but not B, C and up. Not sure if it is because of incompatibility or my problem. But overall, I am very happy with the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Back in those days, I purchased a "66" brass neck from eBay. Put it on my 1983 A880 and never looked back since then. I didn't notice any changes in sound, but the horn's response improved dramatically. The notes just pop out so easily. Before that, I always wanted to try a silver neck, but now I know I don't need to look any further.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I sold the horn. And the buyer also tried the 92 neck and also say "the air flow much better". So he bought the neck also. Btw, the instability I mentioned above is not about the neck. It is my reed is not place properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts