Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
last time i checked they were about 270 on ebay with 90% laquer left, but try to try one before you buy.

·
Registered
552 Posts
at a store like saxquest they go for $750 regardless of lacquer--- on ebay about 30% cheaper for 5 digits and 50% cheaper for 6 digits

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks--I was watching one on Ebay for a buy it now of $495 with hardly any lacquer left, but I wasn't quite ready to go for it--looks like its taken now, I didn't see it listed. Sounds like an average deal for one based on the posts. I went through the neck thing with my tenor, and I am not sure I want to go that route with this alto--maybe its better to just look for a horn with some different characteristics. I got a good deal on this one, and I would be happy to move into something comparable that plays better for me....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
I bought one on ebay for $400 perfect except the cork. No serial number BUT I really sniped a bid at 2 seconds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,010 Posts
You're lucky with an alto - most any alto neck will work, although there are naturally subtle differences in tone/response/intonation. I played a replacement Mk VI neck on a Selmer USA alto for years until I went back to the original neck just to see what happened, and I've been playing it ever since. It just seemed to have a 'thicker' sound, or maybe 'more whiskers' as someone said. Funny thing about that neck - when I first got the horn, it played flat enough that I had to push the mouthpiece way up on the cork, disturbing the relative intonation of the horn. I cut about 1/4" off of it and it plays great to this day, although the mpc still goes pretty far up but not far enough to get the neck up near the chamber. This was true with the Level Air I played in 1983 as well as the Guardala Studio I now use. Must be a really big bore on that neck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts