Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is currently making DR copies? I know of Sakshama's "Ring" piece, and I hesitate to say the Retro Revival piece is a "copy" but it's marketed as such. Morgan Fry's "Vintage" too I believe. Anyone else?

Also, if I'm correct, DR differed from Tone Master in that they had more baffle material so they'd be a hair brighter and more focused than spread? If that's not correct please let me know.

Thanks

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Administrator
17,276 Posts
Double Rings developed from the NY model into the Florida model with some different intermediate models inbetween. NY DR's are the first Super Tone Masters and have a bit more baffle and a smaller chamber compared to Tone Masters, as far as I have seen (I have two of those pieces in my collection). The later Florida DR's got more baffle and thus became brighter.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Who is currently making DR copies? I know of Sakshama's "Ring" piece, and I hesitate to say the Retro Revival piece is a "copy" but it's marketed as such. Morgan Fry's "Vintage" too I believe. Anyone else?

Also, if I'm correct, DR differed from Tone Master in that they had more baffle material so they'd be a hair brighter and more focused than spread? If that's not correct please let me know.

Thanks
I used to make them. I got the very best one there was then copied it. I don't make them anymore but I still have a couple left. Phil Barone

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to make them. I got the very best one there was then copied it. I don't make them anymore but I still have a couple left. Phil Barone
If you’d sell one, depending how much $, I’d possibly be interested :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
The RR Super D is more or less a STM Early Babbitt if you have a look at the pics...

For real... you don't find super baffles on vintage Links.

You find baffles like these on a Freddie Gregory Mark IV or older Navarro Bahia I, not a design element typical of a metal Link.

RS Berkeley makes great Double Rings copies.

Old Drake "Double Ring" metal pieces were real gems.
https://www.facebook.com/509654555758777/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1084647251592835

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
The Chris Potter and I guess the James Moody.

The Double Rings tend to have internal siderails significantly more undercutted... less roll-over baffle, but a slightly higher floor slope down to the chamber.
In general, less material near the tip but more material down the floor.
It may be hard to notice if you don't have a later Florida for comparison.

The beak was slightly higher on DR, as well.

STMs EB have the lower beak ever seen on a metal Link (it was the same for hard rubber Link... from the EB era).

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
The Chris Potter and I guess the James Moody.

The Double Rings tend to have internal siderails significantly more undercutted... less roll-over baffle, but a slightly higher floor slope down to the chamber.
In general, less material near the tip but more material down the floor.
It may be hard to notice if you don't have a later Florida for comparison.

The beak was slightly higher on DR, as well.

STMs EB have the lower beak ever seen on a metal Link (it was the same for hard rubber Link... from the EB era).
I didn't realize the Chris Potter piece was a copy of a double rings. I was told it was a copy of Chris's favorite Florida Link. Did you hear this from a good authority?

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
The RR Super D is more or less a STM Early Babbitt if you have a look at the pics...

For real... you don't find super baffles on vintage Links.

You find baffles like these on a Freddie Gregory Mark IV or older Navarro Bahia I, not a design element typical of a metal Link.

RS Berkeley makes great Double Rings copies.

Old Drake "Double Ring" metal pieces were real gems.
https://www.facebook.com/509654555758777/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1084647251592835
I had a NY double ring that didn’t look anything like that. That baffle is way beyond even an EB.
It looks like it could be really thin and chirpy sounding.

·
Administrator
17,276 Posts
I had a NY double ring that didn’t look anything like that. That baffle is way beyond even an EB.
That's what I see with most Link copies, they always seems to higher the baffle. :(

Also be aware that the NY DR has a much lower baffle compared to the later Florida DR's, which are probably mostly used by the copy makers as master mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I just can't understand how you all don't get that more baffle is better. More is always better, that's why it sells so well. Why would all these people be making them like that if they weren't superior? I mean c'mon!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
The later Florida DR's got more baffle and thus became brighter.
I'm no Link expert (far from it), but if the OP is looking for an exact copy of a Florida Link (a bit brighter and more focused than the earlier models), then a PhilTone Tribute would fit that description.

And the Tribute is a copy of an actual Florida Link. Those pics of the RR Super D, with that particular baffle, look nothing like any Link I've ever seen!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts