Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of mouthpiece would you use for a Boots Randolph sound, esp. Return to Sender? I was thinking maybe a Link with a slightly bigger baffle, but I don't know bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
Wow. I never knew Boots played baritone on that record. Thanks for the link. It's a very nice bari sound and very controlled. He's articulating very well (right in the rhythmic pocket) and not blowing too hard. I would guess he's playing a metal or hard rubber Berg Larsen. Those were what most of the pros were playing on bari in those years, especially for pop music. It could be any relatively bright mouthpiece. I found some information in an older post about Mr Randolph's tenor piece. Perhaps Brillhart made a velvet tone bari piece as well?

1saxman; "I wondered for 40 years what kind of mouthpiece Boots Randolph was using when he recorded his best stuff, including 'Hip Boots'. There were numerous pictures of it, but I could never find a mpc like it. Recently one of the old hands here notified me that he had Boots's old mpc in for restoration, and it turned out to be a Brilhart Velvet Tone. I had never heard of this model and have since learned they are ultra-rare. Anyway, Boots stopped playing that piece years ago and has been playing Dukoffs ever since. To me, he doesn't sound like himself any more - his sound now is a little thinner and edgier."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
As Peter Ponzol points out in his book, Saxophone Workshop, on page 33, the world tried to copy Coltrane's sound using the Old Metal Link mouthpiece that all the pictures showed him playing. In reality, Coltrane used an old hard rubber mouthpiece when recording.

As Ponzol goes on to point out and I paraphrase, it ain't the mouthpiece, it's the player.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts