Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys-

Just came across this forum for the first time and am looking forward to poking around on it more!

I've been playing sax for 25 years or so and have had my current horn (Gold plated buescher true tone) for the past 15. The horn definitely has its quirks at times (wobbly low C), but the tone I get from it is amazing.

Anyway my question is pretty random, but I figure what the heck...

A few years ago I referenced the serial number (don't have it with me off hand) and was able to find out that it supposedly fell within the 1928 year range.
Short of calling the History Detectives, is there a resource available to possibly find out more specifics using the serial number? I know this is kind of out there, but I've always wondered about the history of this horn, when it was made and how it ended up out here (weird, I know.)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
A 1928 True Tone alto is one of the best altos ever made, imo. A gold-plated one is also nice from the cosmetic side. Your perception of an amazing tone is right on the money. I'm sure a good tech could put that wobbly low C right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the info. It looks like it's older than I thought! The serial number starts with 129 so I'm about 5 years off. Exciting! If only this sax could talk...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Still a good horn but no roller G# or front F. No big deal. I'm just finishing adjusting a gold plated TT bari and it is a nice old boomer too. Not worth a fortune so it should make somone a decent big band horn. I some ways the series II alto like yours plays with a nicer sound than my series IV from 1928ish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, no roller G# or F but I do love this horn though. It certainly has it's quirks but I've been playing it long enough that I can easily correct any intonation issues without even thinking twice. Such a rich sound overall. I just wish I were brave enough to strip the whole thing down (take all the keys/rods off) and give it a good scrubbing though. The gold plate is really nice, but tough to keep clean in between the keys. I'm girl though, so I kind of notice things like that haha.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I just wish I were brave enough to strip the whole thing down (take all the keys/rods off) and give it a good scrubbing though.
Do it!! or have it done. Gold looks so good cleaned up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts