Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
know I'm about to set up another mouthpiece suggestions topic, but I have mostly figured out what I like and just don't know what suits my "needs".

I play a Link 8*HR for about 2,5 years and have been playing a refaced early STM for the past 6 months. The STM has Sound similar to Chaloff.
I'm looking for a rich Cuber oder Kenny Rogers sound. Fat and warm, but with a little projection.

The HR gives me great control and sound, but it could need a little bit more projection. It also has a lot of blowing resistance. I already fooled around with a Baffle, but my sound gets crappy with baffled mouthpieces.

I also figured out that I like to keep my mouth a bit more open, so not a ultra slime piece like lawton.

any hints?! Maybe pieces that are available in europe?!

best wishes

Chris

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,765 Posts
For a Cuber sound, you pretty much need a mouthpiece with some serious baffle. I would recommend a Rico Metalite (if you can find one). It's what I use, and I've always been able to get it to work for me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried a rico and didn't like it.
I also tried berg a long time ago and didn't like but maybe I'll give It a shot.

best wishes

Chris

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Try a Lamberson 7dd or 8dd....for bari.

Or- Get a 120/1 rubber berg and have Brian Powell reface it.

That should do it.:)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tim,
the Lambersons are very small and very expensive, aren't they?! 400$ is way to much for now :(
I guess I won't like the DD Baffle either, but will have a try again.
How do you choose to which refacer to send a piece?!
I had HWP of steamersound.de reface my STM, but he only does vintage Link and Goldbeck.

best wishes

Chris

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Kryz the DD is a great piece and worth the money/ investment, I have played on my 7 for about 3 years. I screwed up my Larsen 110/0 by having it refaced and went on a search through Dukoff, Berg, Vandoren and RPC..the DD blows them all away. Mark V1 Bb , DD Lambo with a Plasticover reed is pretty much the last stop.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Michael Ward said:
Kryz the DD is a great piece and worth the money/ investment, I have played on my 7 for about 3 years. I screwed up my Larsen 110/0 by having it refaced and went on a search through Dukoff, Berg, Vandoren and RPC..the DD blows them all away. Mark V1 Bb , DD Lambo with a Plasticover reed is pretty much the last stop.
I'd love to hear that....got any recordings?:?

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
kryz said:
Hi,
know I'm about to set up another mouthpiece suggestions topic, but I have mostly figured out what I like and just don't know what suits my "needs".

I play a Link 8*HR for about 2,5 years and have been playing a refaced early STM for the past 6 months. The STM has Sound similar to Chaloff.
I'm looking for a rich Cuber oder Kenny Rogers sound. Fat and warm, but with a little projection.

The HR gives me great control and sound, but it could need a little bit more projection. It also has a lot of blowing resistance. I already fooled around with a Baffle, but my sound gets crappy with baffled mouthpieces.

I also figured out that I like to keep my mouth a bit more open, so not a ultra slime piece like lawton.

any hints?! Maybe pieces that are available in europe?!

best wishes

Chris
On all the Gadd Gang records he played a Link I worked on. They're great pieces, I play one myself. Phil

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Phil, what did you to them? Just Facing or also Chamber Work?

·
1,404 Posts
If you don't want to spend over $200, check out David Jary. He made me a great HR bari piece with a huge chamber and a medium rollover baffle. Search for "jary" and you'll find more info about it on SOTW. He can make you whatever facing you want and will tweak the piece for you after the sale if you aren't totally satisfied. How's that for customer support?

That having been said, if cost were no option a Lamberson DD would be very high on my list of pieces to try.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will watch out for a cheap lamberson and maybe I can figure out a trade somehow.

thx for the advice

Chris

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lets say relatively^^

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
kryz said:
Hi Phil, what did you to them? Just Facing or also Chamber Work?
Both chamber and facing work. I charge $250.00 + the blank. It will knock a wall down without losing a fine quality of sound. Phil

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi Phil,
thanks for the offer, but that's too much for me now. Are all of your Bari Links the same or is every piece different ?

·
1,254 Posts
I have seen many people recommend the Rico Metalites here. I have one question. How do you keep the sharpness down with these pieces? Everyone I have played has played almost 50 cents sharp and left me with no room to correct. Lipping the pitch that much is possible but impratical.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Cuber?

Wasn't that the country Jack Kennedy had all the trouble with?
Or was that just his Bahston accent?

·
2,765 Posts
jmathesonjr said:
I have seen many people recommend the Rico Metalites here. I have one question. How do you keep the sharpness down with these pieces? Everyone I have played has played almost 50 cents sharp and left me with no room to correct. Lipping the pitch that much is possible but impratical.
I've never had a pitch problem with my Metalite on modern horns. I had some issues with an old Conn 12M, but I think that was because the cork was so worn. I use very hard reeds, but I don't think that would bring the pitch down. It would probably bring it up a little bit, if anything.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What exactly don't you like about your sound when you use a mouthpiece with some baffle? To my ears, Cuber gets a slightly edgy sound, and that means either some baffle or a Runyon-type spoiler in the mouthpiece. I've played a JodyJazz Classic with the spoiler, and I can get a very Cuber-ish bark most of the time. The JJ Classic is also well under $200 if that's to your liking.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts