Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been browsing/shopping for a new contoured tenor case and on Amazon have seen the brand Crossrock cases that are supposedly made of fiberglass that look sturdy and nice. Wondering if any SOTWers own a Crossrock case and if you would recommend or advise to look elsewhere.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,006 Posts
It looks okay to me but its in the price range of premium cases and there are some well-known brands in that range. I liked the Crossrock ABS case for a lot less, and it comes in contoured or rectangular. The fiberglass case appears to be very glossy/slick and I have trouble with such cases as they scoot around when you're trying to set-up or put away on tables or chairs like you find most places, also in vehicles/trucks/trailers. If anything will fall out when the door is opened it will be that case. This is a major reason I prefer the Pro Tec contoured wood-frame cases. They stay put better.

·
Registered
654 Posts
They are nice but not as solid as youd think. I have a few friends who have had their horns bodies bent inward, bell keys misaligned etc. they are not very sturdy. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are nice but not as solid as youd think. I have a few friends who have had their horns bodies bent inward, bell keys misaligned etc. they are not very sturdy. Just my two cents.
Thank you Mikey, That's information I needed to know. BTW, you play great and do some excellent looking overhauls based on what I've seen on FB. All the best, Mark

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thank you Mikey, That's information I needed to know. BTW, you play great and do some excellent looking overhauls based on what I've seen on FB. All the best, Mark
Hi Mark, thanks hope all is well also. Good luck with the case search. Im using bam hightech cases on alto and tenor, I have a chocolate cabine for tenor, a berkeley london tenor case for emergencies, bam trekking on soprano, protec propac for bari. Etc. Cases are very pricey nowadays. Ive seen the hiscox cases take a beating and the horn is very safe. The manning case is awesome but very heavy. The walt johnson is great but on the heavy side. These are what I usually reccomend. Take care ok

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
After looking that case over, I wouldn't trust it with any horn. Interior looks terrible for limiting movement and padding in the wrong places. Hiscox is similar...great bulletproof outside...awful inside that will cause your horn to jostle around and take damage.

BAM Cabine if you have a selmer. BAM Softpak if you have vintage American and are ok with zippers. Mike Manning if you have vintage American and want latches and want the creme da le creme with customizations. His fiberglass is heavy but the carbon fiber is significantly lighter, although enormously expensive. Has a lifetime warranty, though.

- Saxaholic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts