Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yeah, the sax doesn't sound as good as it could IMO. I'm not sure if it's a mic or mix issue TBH. Did the guy point the mic into the bell? That's a common mistake. Either way the sax sounded like it could do with some compression as well - this would help it sit in the mix a little better.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm sorry but to my ears it's not only a mic issue ... What I can hear is that your sound is not stable, not mastered, but maybe it's the kind of sound you're after. Actually you can hear in old video some sax players sounding great with a mic 10 feet away. If it's a good mic, and if the sound of the sax is good, the result can't be bad, maybe with a lack of presence but not bad.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Maybe you are to close to the mic? What was the distance?

·
Registered
957 Posts
The software doesn't matter, it's only 0 et 1 !
But the audio interface and preampli make a lot difference.
Do you know the model of the mic and other materials?

·
Registered
957 Posts
So it's to close, at least for a studio electrostatic mic

·
Banned
624 Posts
Wailin' said:
How far from the mic should the sax be?
What kind of mic is it? What are the volume settings on the preamp? A dynamic mic usually used for vocals needs to be closer. A condenser mic should be placed further away. You will have to adjust the volume levels depending on the sensitivity of the mic. If the mic has a windscreen (black foam on the mic,) take it off, you don't need it for recording sax.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts