Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the latest CD of L'Ensemble Ulysse, a group I have been part of for the past 6 years:

http://antoinebustros.com/ensemble-ulysse/crime-music-bernard-herrmann-revisited/

Antoine Bustros, the pianist-composer-arranger, reorchestrated the score to Hitchcock's Psycho (which was originally for strings only) for violin, cello, bass, trumpet, trombone, clarinet and saxophone/flute.

I'm playing alto in the sample that's in the link.

Also included in the CD is an arrangement of music Herrmann wrote for a 50's radio drama series called "Crime Classics".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,143 Posts
Nice! I had a roommate on cruise ships who turned me on to Bernard Herrmann's music. One of the great composers for film and tv. The back story on the link you gave was pretty interesting too.

·
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
If you click on the CBC link you can hear a comparison between the original version and ours of the famous shower scene.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Great stuff! I have long been a Bernard Herrmann fan...It seems like all the "better" Hitchcock films had Herrmann's music. I also like some of the scores Franz Waxman and Carmen Dragon did---there were some great film composers around during those years. Thanks for sharing this--really interesting---what a fun project to be a part of!

·
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great stuff! I have long been a Bernard Herrmann fan...It seems like all the "better" Hitchcock films had Herrmann's music. I also like some of the scores Franz Waxman and Carmen Dragon did---there were some great film composers around during those years. Thanks for sharing this--really interesting---what a fun project to be a part of!
Yes it fun..... and challenging!

I didn't know that much about Herrmann before this project but I have since developed an appreciation for his work. I was in fact involved in copying some of his "Crime Classics" scores for the project.

His influence on film composers that came after him is obvious to me now, it seems I'm always hearing it whenever I listen to movie soundtracks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts