Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,521 Posts
Hey skatkat, thadn,

Thad is of course correct -- I should have the next shipment around the end of this month. This is actually the first shipment of official Crescent tenors. There are a few prototypes out in the world, but this is the first shipment of official release tenors.

And his bari is on the way, as well, which I'm looking forward to as well.

A couple of tenors are tentatively claimed, but there are plenty available at this time. Altos and a very small supply of baris are coming as well. Plenty of altos, just a couple of baris.

I dunno if anybody has seen, but I put a couple of new videos up on my site recently. They're more promotional than good for sound samples, but higher res sound samples will come later. Just been too busy to make new ones; that and I don't have my recording stuff set-up yet.

There're a few vids that Mark R of this board was generous enough to send me on the "sound samples" and "artist" pages.

Cheers, and thanks for the Q about the Crescents.

(Humorous thought: I feel like this reeks of possible shillery...I would never do that...the thought is kind of hilarious actually. No idea who skatkat is. Thanks again for the Q, skatkat.)

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,095 Posts
(Humorous thought: I feel like this reeks of possible shillery...I would never do that...the thought is kind of hilarious actually. No idea who skatkat is. Thanks again for the Q, skatkat.)
I thought nothing of it. You could have done what others have: Started a bunch of fake accounts with less than 5 posts that all were pumping up your product...Then I would have thought about schillery.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Hey Palo!

The new website looks awesome! Very cool! Best of luck!

R.

ps. If you could match the tenor with a pair of those funky sunglasses, you might really do something! :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured I'd ask the question here as others may be wondering same as myself.

Looking forward to some hi quality pics of tenors and altos.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
HA...some blasts from the schillerific past...I am going to elect to..........not go there. lol

rleitch - if you're talking about my famous red plasticman shades, how did you know about those? They're priceless, 12 years old, bought for a dollar after emerging from the subway by NYU, survivors of Katrina floodwater, held together with twisty ties and a safety pin (also a Katrina survivor), have won thousands of dineros in underground NYC cardrooms, witnessed Moab redrock, Nebraska thunderheads, and Yellowstone trout, and they are prescription. They cannot be duplicated, sadly.

Many thanks, re the site change. It was redone by "haled..." who is a member here and a next-neighborhood neighbor in NOLA (I forget J's SOTW handle, but maybe he will see this and say hello).

skat - I have some photos of the last alto prototype, and if they're not on the computer that crashed will put some up ASAP. At this time there's just one photo of the alto on the Crescent "features" page, and the photo of it on the sound samples page. I actually have to make some kind of new backdrop for taking photos, as my old one in New Orleans was a table a friend made that was out on my balcony. Should you or any one become impatient, once they're here I can take phone pics and send them, prior to taking better pics. I can't take new pics until the shipment comes, tho, as all of the altos and tenors already made are all out in the world, already.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hmmm...this is probably an appropriate place for this: the new shipment of Crescent tenors is finally in, and I think I have 3 that are still unclaimed, right now, after taking into account some tentative holds.

There will be more in about 60-90 days, but until then there're just the three left.

If any one happens to be near Davenport, IA, there will be a retailer there with some available for sale in about 7-12 days.

A few people from this board were interested in baritones -- they are sold out, although there will be one in Iowa that I believe will be for sale if any one is in the Davenport area. Previously, the baritones were in the prototype stage, as I wasn't completely satisfied with them yet. The new baritones have resolved those issues (thanks factory!), and I can now put the official stamp of approval on them. Prices on the baritone will go up, now that I'm completely satisfied with them.

OK...

/semi-spam

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've always enjoyed checking out alternative horns.
Anybody have knowledge of the quality of these crescents ? (compared to upper tier taiwan horns? pm,cadeson,cannonball)
Are these made same place as the Bauhaus models? (I've see good and bad bauhaus')
thx

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
skatkat -- hopefully you were the person to whom I sent some photos of the alto prototype earlier today. If not, please feel welcome to email and I will send you some. I don't have any of the tenor yet, and won't have a chance to really do any substantial photographing until some days have passed. I have a good number of orders to fill and servicing the new horns will be my first priority for a couple of weeks.

wogeax - I have never asked Martin at BW where his are made, or about the particulars, because it's none of my business. One thing I would say is that it's possible for a company to have, for example, bodies made in one place and necks made in another. I am not trying to be cute, by bringing that up, but mention it because it's an important thing to keep in mind when equivalencing brands. I consciously choose not to make the factory I use aware of some of the things I do to make corrections to their horns, after they come to me, because if I tell them what they are then they'll do them for all their customers, and my service and brand will diminish in value. This has been discussed before, but even when instruments come from the same factory, that doesn't tell you as much as you might like about how they will play, when compared to one another.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Oh...also: I like the idea of doing a passaround, like where people pay shipping and promise to repack well, if any one is curious to play a Crescent, but it's not looking like I will have much room to do that until at least after the next shipment.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,548 Posts
Been such a long time since I've been at SOTW. I have lots going on in my personal life..all very good. Moving back to DFW area and getting married. I love, love, love the JS Crescent alto that you see and hear me playing on Palo's site. As soon as I can see my way clear I will be buying me the JS Tenor model. I want to encourage players that are looking for a great sounding and playing saxophone. These horns are IMO well worth Palo's asking price...you guys forget and or don't know just how outstanding his level of technical work is on saxophones. Palo is my all time favorite tech, period....he is awesome. So besides the build quality being very good on these horns, the set-up is par excellent.

I could not be more pleased with the alto, it is an awesome horn. Those videos were made quite soon after I received the horn. I've had a chance to play it on several gigs.....everyone of my band mates were in jaw drop mode when they heard what a gorgeous, fat, musical, lyrical, colorful tone core and lightning smooth/fast dexterity I had command of on the alto...considering I've been a stone cold tenor player my entire life. My only problem now is they start calling more tunes for alto...so now I'm having to go to double land instead of showing up with just the tenor....guess that's why now it's "Just Saxes"..instead of singular.....

Palo you rock...your horns are a joy to play on. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hi Wogeaux, just saw this. The Crescents all come with a simple black cloth-covered case, "tray pack" style with backpack straps. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow, in daylight.

They can also be traded in for $45 credit toward any case I carry (BAM, Hiscox, Pro-Tec), in order to ship with an aftermarket case instead of original. If the desired case isn't in stock, for a pre-paid order you can save a bit more on the aftermarket case.

The stock cases are serviceable but were I buying one for myself I would go for the additional aftermarket case, especially for airline travel.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Wogeaux, this is the soprano case -- one of these days I'll find the time to do a proper photo'ing session for both horns & cases.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Mark - I thanked you then, but thanks again (publicly) for the generous words and gracious compliment. "Palo is my all time favorite tech, period" <-- this to me is a great, GREAT compliment.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for the pics and info Palo.
If anyone has good quality pics of the tenors and altos, please post a few. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts