Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
fballatore said:
Gary -Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. Did you get the new machine? My initial thought is that the HP Media Center should already come with a sound card that will be more than sufficient for your needs. Why are you thinking about adding in another? Frank
The sound card that's installed isn't bad at all. I use Sibelius and it has a fancy sampled program Kontact Silver which I thought would sound better with a better sound card. Yes/No?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,475 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Gary,

Just checking: It sounds like you have either already purchased the computer or are committed to Vista for some reason. Is that correct? I ask because my daughter recently got a Mac, and it is amazingly hassle free.

·
Banned
301 Posts
Shopping for a PC sound board

gary said:
Well, I'm getting a new computer and I want to put a Creative sound card in in it. The last time I looked (several years ago) I only had maybe two real choices. I went to the Creative site a few minutes ago and my eyes glazed over.

Can you folks please tell me what sound card to get? I am not a gamer so those features are irrelevant. I just need an all-around sound card but that produces quality music. Thanks.
Hi. I'm new here. I wanted to add my 2 cents on this one. If you plan to do any home recording and you might as well plan on it, then there is an important consideration that many folks are not aware of.

All sound boards have audio inputs for playback and audio inputs for recording; however, the two are most-often out of sync. Every electronic circuit has a certain delay time from when the signal is applied at one end and the processed signal appears at the other end. What this means to you is that if the delay times for the audio playback and the recording input are not adjusted to by synchronous, when you listen to previously recorded backing tracks and try to record a solo line over them, every thing you record will be a few fractions of a second behind the music of the backing track. Believe me, it sounds horrible.

What this means is that the best sounding sound boards for playback are often useless for home recording. Google the web some on "home recording" and "PC soundboards" and you can get some info to help you make the choice. The last one that I bought was an inexpensive Creative specifically because it had highly synchronous playback-recording, although it was probably a manufacturing fluke. It was recommended by a home recording website.

Good luck.
Andy

PS. This design issue appears to have been accounted for in Macs but not PCs. The soundboard in my Gateway laptop PC is useless for recording but a friends Mac laptop has an exceptional soundboard for recording.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As far as the latency issue is concerned, most decent DAW (digital audio workstation) programs will have a latency compensation feature so that it doesn't show up on your final recordings. I use a Line 6 TonePort UX-2 (combination USB DI interface and soundcard), as well as an older Creative Audigy2zs Platinum, and I have no problem with the quality of my recordings or playback.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
LampLight said:
It sounds like you have either already purchased the computer or are committed to Vista for some reason. Is that correct?
Yes. This is the first time in several years I have not put my own computer together and I bought an HP and Vista came with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
gary said:
Yes. This is the first time in several years I have not put my own computer together and I bought an HP and Vista came with it.
Vista is OK as long as you've got a honkin' boatload of memory and processor power behind it, cuz it's a resource pig. It's pretty though. I work for HP. Thank you for your business :)

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Gary -

Yes, a upgrade card might sound better for the sampled sounds. Sounds like you're not totally happy with the way Kontact Silver sounds on the built-in. If that's the case, then some good suggestions have been made for researching sound cards. I personally have used the Creative Soundblaster Audigy cards, and found them to work well.

Frank

21 - 30 of 30 Posts