Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, have you ever tried to play a bass line and as a platform for the melody and the improvisation? It sounds good especially on baritone, but you can do it on every saxophone. It is a very good exercise to outline the chord changes and to improve your rhythm feel. Leave a comment to let me know your impressions. Have a good week end!

P.S. Enable english subtitles in the menu if needed.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Absolutely! (also a bass and tenor player). I find it really helpful to initially play through changes with quarter notes R - 5. Next time maybe 3 - 7.
Don't think this is novel, though. I believe it is one of the first steps in the Jamey Aebersold improvisation method.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Done that out of necessity on tenor when the keyboard player in the trio didn't bring his keyboard. He brought his trumpet instead due to a miscommunication. What a strange gig that was. 💩

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely! (also a bass and tenor player). I find it really helpful to initially play through changes with quarter notes R - 5. Next time maybe 3 - 7.
Don't think this is novel, though. I believe it is one of the first steps in the Jamey Aebersold improvisation method.
This is surely a good exercise to outline the changes. It is also useful to improve the time feel on quarter notes. I like to star with arpeggios and then I start adding chromatic passing tones. It is beautiful on bari, I want to dig in more not only as an exercise. Mulligan used to play similar lines as a background to a soloist + a dialogue with the bass player (I love Bill Crow's lines).
Done that out of necessity on tenor when the keyboard player in the trio didn't bring his keyboard. He brought his trumpet instead due to a miscommunication. What a strange gig that was. 💩
Haha, yes it sounds a strange combo!

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
I play bass sax and double bass as well as the other saxophones. I will say that keeping a steady walking four-beat pattern calls for some work on breathing.

I would suggest anyone interested in this have a good listen to Adrian Rollini's work on bass sax - he does not just play the stereotyped "bassline".

Two beat works fantastic on bass sax and could work well on bari as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks @turf3 . I have just listened to some Rollini's music and I liked a lot. Fantastic control of the istrument, great time feel and very enjoyable too. He was also a great vibraphone player! I will surely dig into his music more in the next weeks. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.