Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of these far east saxes have NO serial number. Despite that fact they are cheap, if someone wants to insure such a sax, or create a traceable number for such an instrument should it ever get stolen, a serial number will be required. But how best to apply such a serial number ? - It could incorporate your initials & postcode or somesuch set of numbers/letters.
I ask because I've just bought a G4M alto sax (nickel-plated). I also have a set of small number punches and another set of letter punches (dies). What's the best thing to do ? - A number can't easily be stamped into the usual location, under the thumbrest, without dismantling the sax and inserting a round metal block to support the thin brass body. Is there anywhere else where a number could be safely dinged in ? - Is there any point in putting a number on part of the keywork, or a keywork guard, when it is removable ?
I've marked the sax with an ultra-violet marker pen but it's visible in ordinary light on the shiny nickel surface, and it can be wiped off.
Richard

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Rick - That's worth getting ! - and more importantly, one for my EWI4000s which is worth a hell of a lot more than my alto sax.
It's the same kind of thing that Fido gets injected with !
Richard

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Despite it seemingly being the stereotypical name for a dog, I have yet to ever actually meet a dog called Fido.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
In New Orleans it's spelled Phideaux.:)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I thought that was a type of flaky pastry...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,386 Posts
Rick Adams said:
Despite it seemingly being the stereotypical name for a dog, I have yet to ever actually meet a dog called Fido.

Just before we got our last but one dog, Rover had just been taken over by BMW ... so she got called Beemer :)

Back on topic: is the thumbhook removable? If so you could do it on the underside of that. I think your idea of doing it on the underside of a guard is a good one. Maybe not with stamps, just scratched or engraved.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the thumbhook is removable, but there's not a not of room underneath to hide much of an i.d. number. I like the idea of removing the long sideguard and scratching at least a postcode on it.
Richard

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, actually, the bell is removable ;-) ........ But I know what you are driving at. A good idea. The best one I've heard so far is the microchip thing, but the cost is a significant proportion of the cost of the alto sax !
Another idea would be to actually PUNCH a serial number onto a small metal slug and epoxy that somewhere. I really don't fancy trying to punch directly onto the sax body. I got a new G4M tenor this morning so the same need arises with that instrument too.
Richard

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I have seen instruments with engraved numbers on them. We have had some horns in the store here that needed that work done to them. Also for the Board of Education here in NY, they require that all instruments be engraved with the schools info on the horn. That never seems to be a problem as far as damage to the horn. And yes the bell can be removed, but that would just look weird to most people.:D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just wondering about the wisdom of popping a number directly onto a gold lacquered or nickel plated body with my letter dies - The worry is that it could cause a lump of plating to fall off (I'm worrying more about the nickel sax).

·
14,268 Posts
I think you should etch a unique number, not stamp it. And, wherever you put it, it should be readily seen by someone unfamiliar with musical instruments (like some patrol officer at 3:10AM in metro Los Angeles, or London, or wherever). No one is going to see it or look for it inside the bell, especially where the bell and bow join, or under the thumb rest, etc. Take it from someone who's been there. DAVE

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I daresay I can find someone around here who does etching - It could be my name, postcode, etc.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
And7barton said:
Yes, I daresay I can find someone around here who does etching - It could be my name, postcode, etc.

Have your name etched right on the bell. Maybe some decorative design as well. Your horn could be your own brand.:D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I imagine you mean "engraved" using a tool ? - I would take "Etched" to mean acid etched which wouldn't be kind to the lacquer.

·
14,268 Posts
I don't think any of us meant "etched" to be an acid-type of action. A small handtool or dremel might get the job done . . . and all you'll need is a number unique to that instrument (like a driver's license number or your military serial number or a DOB, etc. . . . something that can be readily seen, not too big), to be entered into a computerized data base of stolen items if it is stolen. DAVE

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A good idea Dave. Well, my friends on here have given me half a dozen possible ways of personalising the saxes..... From scratching an i.d. somewhere, gluing a microchip on them, my own idea of bonding a steel slug with my i.d. stamped on it, in various places, and a few others. Thanks to you all - I have to decide on the one for me now.
Richard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts