Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My buddy Randy is a vibrophonist with a trio and a steady Tuesday night gig at a semi-local cafe.

We were talking and he mentioned that a lot of my playing reminded him of Paul Desmond's (high praise, but, something I've heard before).

He's invited me to come and play with the group as a "Desmond Tribute first set" - and I've got to come up with a set list. Easy enough, I guess.

I've got a few tunes in mind, but don't want to do exclusively Desmond tunes. I'm NOT planning on "Emily" or "Take Ten" or anything too "signature."

I'm thinking of stuff like:

Bag's New Groove
2 degrees east, 3 degrees west
By the River Sainte Marie
My Romance
Embarcadero (maybe)
Bewitched

Maybe, MAYBE, "Take 5"..

If anybody's got a suggestion, toss 'em in, I've got a month to prepare.

Doesn't HAVE to be something he recorded, but, if you've got a tune that in your mind screams "DESMOND!!" feel free to suggest it as well.

Thanks in advance.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Bossa Antigua, Sacre Blues...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well... Randy really digs Take 5, so I'm kinda expecting it.

I dig the suggestions Hipparion.

·
28,917 Posts
OOH! I dig both of these. Got any lead sheets to share? :mrgreen:
I have lead sheets and transcription for Slinky, it's on my CD Midnight in the Naked City which includes backing tracks, sheet music and transcriptions.

https://tamingthesaxophone.com/product/cd-multi

The other one has no lead sheet as it's just a blues impro, no actual melody as such. (unless you'd go so far as to say my improvising is melodic)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have lead sheets and transcription for Slinky, it's on my CD Midnight in the Naked City which includes backing tracks, sheet music and transcriptions.

https://tamingthesaxophone.com/product/cd-multi

The other one has no lead sheet as it's just a blues impro, no actual melody as such. (unless you'd go so far as to say my improvising is melodic)
Yeah, I'm coming after Slinky (after work, I'm "UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS"-ed on my school network) - that's a cool little head.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
How about "Here's That Rainy Day" - album Easy Living, with Jim Hall. Superb.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
While to my knowledge, Desmond did not play it, I keep thinking that Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby could be a lovely choice played in his style.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
One more....classic...Emily...

·
28,917 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts