Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wearing a Hawaiian shirt last night at the outdoor show with about 5000 people. Went to put the tenor down and grab the baritone but it seemed that my shirt was hung up in the sax somewhere around the low C key - and it wouldn't pull out. I said okay, it must be snagged on a spring tip so I'll slide it off - that worked, but it took the spring tip off its perch at the same time. I had no choice but to stand there and with my bare hands (who carries a spring hook in their pocket) and try to push the D# key spring back over the perch and catch it. I did it but that was a first in 60 years. Actually I was lucky it didn't break the spring - I would have been forced to wedge the D# shut.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,656 Posts
I was wearing a Hawaiian shirt last night at the outdoor show with about 5000 people. Went to put the tenor down and grab the baritone but it seemed that my shirt was hung up in the sax somewhere around the low C key - and it wouldn't pull out. I said okay, it must be snagged on a spring tip so I'll slide it off - that worked, but it took the spring tip off its perch at the same time. I had no choice but to stand there and with my bare hands (who carries a spring hook in their pocket) and try to push the D# key spring back over the perch and catch it. I did it but that was a first in 60 years. Actually I was lucky it didn't break the spring - I would have been forced to wedge the D# shut.
What's even crazier than carrying a spring hook in your pocket, is the fact that you've played sax this long and you've never had to put a spring in place with your finger. That literally blows my mind. I've had to do that hundreds of times. The spring lords must travel with you.

Also, you must play tame gigs if this is a crazy story:).

I've got some stories that involve sombreros and police, horses and carriages + wild dogs and heart attacks. Crazy erotic sculptures.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Im on the other side of the fence... I carry a small repair kit that includes a spring hook.... Have had it for years & NEVER used it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I still wear 2 hair elastics at all times. This dates back to my SEC college circuit gig days, where my ponytail helped to fight the ravages of Southern humidity on my group's three saxes.

I could tell you stories involving sexy swingin' sorority girls... that aren't fun as you might think. Like our baritone player, whose Selmer USA was totalled by a drunken 110 lb wrecking ball...

·
5,483 Posts
What's even crazier than carrying a spring hook in your pocket, is the fact that you've played sax this long and you've never had to put a spring in place with your finger. That literally blows my mind. I've had to do that hundreds of times. The spring lords must travel with you.

Also, you must play tame gigs if this is a crazy story:).

I've got some stories that involve sombreros and police, horses and carriages + wild dogs and heart attacks. Crazy erotic sculptures.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Pics required! Or, it didn't happen... :twisted: :mrgreen:

Inquiring minds just gotta know, no teasing allowed...:headbang:

·
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I meant was 'first in 60 years' was getting a sax stuck to me so I couldn't put it down. I guess I've had to refix a spring or two here and there but the D# spring is usually a stiff one and it can be hard to get a finger in there to push it back over the spring seat - and don't forget, the show was going on and I had things to play so I was somewhat in a hurry. I've done many things over the years, like making on-the-spot repairs to bent keys, putting a pad back in, installing a rubber band in lieu of a broken spring, etc., and I'm sure I'm forgetting even stranger things. One thing we miss today is in the past everybody smoked, so there was always a lighter handy for cooking pads, corks, etc. I do carry a set of screwdrivers with a pair of travel reading glasses so I can see to use them, but when I clean/oil my horns I also check the screws at that time so I don't have any surprises at the gig. I had to use them once when I took a baritone out at the gig that I had just got back from an overhaul, only to find a bunch of loose screws including several that were on the brink of falling out.
And yes, I've played my share of frat houses as well as having drunks fall into my horns at several venues.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,294 Posts
Hawaiian shirt onstage? were you backing up Jimmy Buffet?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,573 Posts
Hawaiian shirts are dangerous.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I had a tuxedo jacket that the button kept getting hung up in the key rods of my baritone. I finally whipped out a pocket knife on the band stand and sawed the button off.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I had a tuxedo jacket that the button kept getting hung up in the key rods of my baritone. I finally whipped out a pocket knife on the band stand and sawed the button off.
Ha! Similar, but my RH stack key guard kept getting caught on my stupid tux button. Same thing......I ripped the damn button off!

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,459 Posts
Saw Maceo Parker a few months ago. In the middle of his first solo he stopped playing and pulled out what looked like a business card and dragged it through the G# key a few times. I was probably one of very few in the crowd that knew what he was doing and why.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,620 Posts
One thing we miss today is in the past everybody smoked....
Not me, I don't miss the smoke-filled air in bars one bit (although I know that's not what you meant :)). Funny thing though, it never bothered me at the time; it was just the norm. But I wouldn't be able to take it today after years of smoke free environments.

I've been lucky with my horn in that I've rarely had any mechanical issues on a gig. However, one time the screw that holds the octave mechanism together came loose and fell down into the darkness on a barroom floor! Luckily someone had a flashlight and I was able to retrieve the screw and put the whole thing back together (I did have a small screwdriver in my case). I've only dislodged a spring when wiping/polishing my silver plated Buescher, but I don't do that on a gig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,507 Posts
I put a small drop of Sugru (very small) on the end of 3 springs on my tenor. This stops them getting caught on my shirt or jacket sleeve.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I was sitting playing a show. A button on my jacket got caught behind my alto sax clothes guard. It wouldn't come out and the time was approaching to pick up the clarinet. I had to yank off the button. So much for clothes guards keeping out the clothes.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Years ago I was playing a classical solo recital and my tux button caught on the low C sharp key. Couldn't get it loose so I jerked up and severed the button nice and clean. I also heard about a student playing a recital at a TX university who opened wide to breathe and resume the Creston Sonata but a fly flew into his mouth! Choke...Choke.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
I also heard about a student playing a recital at a TX university who opened wide to breathe and resume the Creston Sonata but a fly flew into his mouth! Choke...Choke.
Been there. On an unfortunate gig in early summer in Texas, I sucked in a June Bug as I took big breath to play. Unfortunately, I had a couple of beers in my belly that ejected as soon as the bug hit the back of my throat. Ugly scene.

One of these:
Insect Arthropod Beetle Organism Dung beetle

1 - 20 of 30 Posts