Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing Craiglist yesterday and saw some really good deals; in fact, they were too good to be true! But I have also heard that Craiglist is full of scams.

Has anyone here done business on Craiglist? What was your experience?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Craigslist does have lot of scams when the seller ask to ship the stuffs to you.

If it is a local cash pickup then it is fine as long as you pay after you see the real thing. I've done lots of local craigslist purchase and they all have been pretty good.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I have used Craigslist, and the reagulr classifieds regularlly. As said before cash pickup, and you can test it before you buy it is very nice. I prefer using cash instead of a check.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
I found this deal on craigslist:
14 mouthpieces inc berg hr alto, meyer alto, selmer soloist alto, brilhart levelair bari, vandoren bari B75, vandoren alto v16 HR,
protec shaped alto case
bari stand
double sax stand
14 mp caps
25(?) ligatures
about eight boxes of old reeds (Miracle tip by Carl Fischer_

total $200 shipped

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I bought a nice used iMac from a really nice young man for less than they sell on eBay without the shipping risks.
I also post a sax there from time to time. It's nice to meet the people and walk away with cash.

I would not have anything shipped from craigslist. The whole idea is local pickup and delivery. They even caution you against cashier's checks, which is fine with me. I will always accept cash:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like buying low-value items on craigslist, and only when local pickup is involved. I picked up a flute to mess around on (bundy student model) for $20 last year - the guy selling it for his daughter said that it didn't really make solid tones below A in the low octave -needed a five minute adjustment that I could do myself. These are the kind of deals that I like.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have to repeat the local pickup theme.

I purchased a flute for $75 by using Craigslist and arranging a meeting with the seller.

There is NO protection from fraud so I would NOT consider any sort of deal involving shipping or the remote exchange of funds via Craigslist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I got a ready to play relaq 10M on craigslist for 250.

I got it locally picked up, no risk realy when you deal that way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also, I would be wary of "high cash" transactions where you must go and meet someone in a place you're not too familiar with. I've heard of people showing up with loot, like for a MKVI, and being robbed...never happened to me, I've just heard about it....

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts