Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at an alto sax and notice that there is a crack on the neck past the tenon receiver (photos attached). Looked at my horns and it looks like all of them have these "cracks," but they do not extend down past the ring/band on the receiver. Is this a cause for concern?

Musical instrument Reed instrument Nickel Gun accessory String instrument accessory Gas Metal Nickel Titanium Auto part .

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not a crack, that's a slot machined so you can close the clamp on the neck.
Yes, and my other horns have it too, but just not that long. As I indicated in my OP, the slot in my other horns don't extend past the metal ring/band which holds the neck screw so you can't see them unless you look down into the tube (they're visible from the interior, but not the exterior). This one seems to be several millimeters longer (at least twice as long) and is visible from the exterior, so I wasn't sure if it indicated some kind of damage that caused the slot to crack down the length of the receiver or if this was by design.

For what it's worth, it's a Mark VI.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Nope, it looks full width all the way down.

If it were my horn I'd probably drill a hole right at the bottom of the clamp, and fill it the slot below that. The longer the slot, the less area to seal. But, you still have to have provisions for "warping" the tube below the clamp, thus either a hole (say of a diameter 2X the slot width) or (which I've never yet seen) a small slot crossways to the main one.

It's also possible that the neck wasn't tightening properly due to wear, and some knucklehead just used a saw to deepen the slot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
That's not a crack, that's a slot machined so you can close the clamp on the neck.
You got the answer from turf3. Its not a 'crack'. It is longer than most of them. Possibly a previous owner cut it lower or a shop did for some reason, but most likely it came that way. I would term it a 'manufacturing anomaly'. You could look at it with bright light and magnification to see if it is plated silver on the sides of the slit. That would pretty much prove that it was done before being plated by Selmer. Regarding 'fixing' it, it is not feasible to try it. It would have to be brazed and that would make a heluva mess - really, the receiver would be sweated off the body tube, cleaned up and brazed, than re-plated and soldered back on. Just live with it. If it hasn't caused a crack in the receiver by now its not going to. Also, if you're not having any problems getting a seal on the neck, there is no reason to be concerned about it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, both. It';s not my horn but something I';m considering buying. I';ve just not seen anything like it (the long slot) before.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Not an issue at all as long as it doesn't extend beyond the length of the neck when inserted into the horn.......which it doesn't/won't judging by the pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts