Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Netflix's decision to make a live action version of this show is controversial among fans of the classic anime, but I'm nonetheless excited about it, mainly because it's introducing a bunch of original big band jazz to the general public.

They managed to bring on Yoko Kanno, the original series's composer, along with The Seatbelts (including Masato Honda). Nonetheless, much of the music will be original; Kanno says that only about 10% of the music will be from the original series.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,559 Posts
Very much agreed. Loved the original in my youth. The soundtrack is unparalleled for this kind of show.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I just realized that John Cho (who's starring in the main role) is nearly 5 years older than I am. He aged well.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Also, I just realized that John Cho (who's starring in the main role) is nearly 5 years older than I am. He aged well.
Koreans.
We don't wrinkle much at first.
Then we get to some point in our lives and the skin just starts to sag. Some tipping point somewhere.

I did picture Spike being younger, but I'll try not to prejudge.

·
TOTM administrator
6,559 Posts
I've been enjoying this show. I thought I'd have trouble with disassociating John Cho with his other roles but I think he's done great. Music has been stellar too!

·
Registered
SDA, SBA. 62ii tenors, Yana, B&S sopranos
130 Posts
I have been watching Cowboy Bebop the anime series when my son and daughter started watching Initial-D, so probably 2002. We bought the as much as we can in forms of DVD and books when the local Hasting's Bookstore had a firesale when they were closing shop. My son did get into jazz and acid jazz I think from it but my daughter sadly not. The music has always been fantastic. There is just better fidelity on the Netflix series. The show ran for 2 years but there are other manga chapters that did not make it to anime.

·
TOTM administrator
6,559 Posts
Episode 5 starts with some classic Charlie Parker and even has dialogue about it. Love it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts