Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Social distancing prescribes a safe distance of about 1.5m.
I wonder if this should not be more around someone who is playing a wind instrument.
After all, you are blowing air at a higher than normal speed into your instrument, and not all of it goes into the mpc.

When I play music that is on my laptop screen, I notice some small droplets being projected onto the screen,
so I suppose, when you are playing in a band, those things get projected on band members also, making it
a big infection risk when rehearsals restart.

Any ideas what might be a safe distance ?
Any virologists in the forum that can answer this ?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Studies indicate that by coughing the virus can travel up to 8 meters and it can stay in the air for up to 3 hours. No studies for saxophone...
That means that the 1.5 m rule is not doing much especially in spaces like supermarkets.
The only solution is that everyone has to wear a mask.
Some countries adopted that others not.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...gh-spread-germans-two-supermarket-aisles.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,473 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
When I play music that is on my laptop screen, I notice some small droplets being projected onto the screen,
so I suppose, when you are playing in a band, those things get projected on band members also, making it

I don't think there is any "safe" distance that would be compatible with the normal workings of any size wind ensemble.

I was instrumental (no pun intended) in getting our band to cancel our rehearsals and a big concert. Here's one of the things I said to our board, four weeks ago: "Due to the nature of our musical activity, members are highly likely to come into contact with bodily fluids from other members, either on surfaces or in the air."

I don't see any way around that, unless each musician goes into a separate room and closes the door.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wind instruments and airborne...not good. "An airborne disease is any disease that is caused by pathogens that can be transmitted through the air over time and distance by small particles". COVID-19 may spread through breathing and talking is what some say now. A horn section can fill the air with particles that will get on peoples hair, skin and breathing. And the band plays on?
Or stay safe?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I think it's logical that if we need to keep six feet of social distance between ourselves and other human beings when we're all breathing normally, that distance would be greater if we're breathing deeply and exerting ourselves. As anybody who's ever sat in a high school band room knows, there's a lot of spit flying around whenever wind instruments are being played, and I wouldn't even want to try to guess how far it can fly. Ten feet? More?

This should be a moot point, because we really should not be leaving our homes right now, so playing with other musicians should be out of the question (unless you happen to live with them). I suppose you could go out and practice outdoors somewhere, if you can find a spot where you're a good distance (not just six feet) from others. But otherwise, I think the idea right now, as far as music goes, is to stay home and shed.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,108 Posts
Social distancing prescribes a safe distance of about 1.5m.
I wonder if this should not be more around someone who is playing a wind instrument.
After all, you are blowing air at a higher than normal speed into your instrument, and not all of it goes into the mpc.

Any virologists in the forum that can answer this ?
Er...you shouldn't actually be playing in a band at all right now.

Normal social distancing is not 1.5. meters, it's 2 last time I checked. And (hyperthetically speaking, because you shouldn't) if you were to be around someone playing a wind instrument I would say it's many times more than 2 metres.

So just stay at home.

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
507 Posts
Stay home. I've lost 12 gigs so far and probably at least another 7 or 8 to go. It stinks. However, stay home. Wear a mask if you have to go shopping. Work from home, exercise, talk on the phone, practice, whatever you need to do. But don't go out in public as much as possible.
On a side note, I remember standing about 3 feet in front of Doc Kupka while TOP was playing and seeing his spit fly everywhere! I thought it was cool back then, now I'd have to wear a mask and bring a raincoat and umbrella.

·
36,473 Posts

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
507 Posts
Surely that should read "unless absolutely necessary based on the guidelines and the law"
We still need groceries, medicine, and other essentials. I teach math, not language or grammar. But where I'm from, "as much as possible" could be used as a synonym for "unless absolutely necessary based on the guideline and the law".

·
Registered
928 Posts
Im not an expert but if the virus is airborne(aerosol), DIY mask, fabric mask, s***y mask wont do anything, besides the N95 which of course we reserve for our frontliners. How long does it stay aerosol? 3 hours is just an educated guess, really. I just wear mask outside so other people will feel safe :) ... just stay at home, safer that way.

·
36,473 Posts
Im not an expert but if the virus is airborne(aerosol), DIY mask, fabric mask, s***y mask wont do anything...
Not so. The intent is to limit the spread from people with the disease. It shortens the airborne range and lowers the airborne concentration.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,436 Posts
The mask reduces the range considerably. It also reminds you to keep your mitts away from your face.
There is a big difference between expelled droplets (2m distance references this), and aerosol transmission.
Even a simple mask worn by an infected person OR another person essentially eliminates large droplets from infecting the other person.

Here is one example of how even the experts disagree about the efficacy of plain masks.
But it is a simple fact that everybody wearing masks is much better than nobody wearing masks.

https://www.newsweek.com/masks-covid-19-coronavirus-cdc-advice-1495179

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,818 Posts
The stupid thing about many over here wearing masks is that there are a lot wearing them whilst alone driving in their cars.
Then there was the guy I saw yesterday smoking a cigarette through his mask.
A welcome sight has been how supermarket staff are sanitising touch screens And basket handles lately.
Those touch screens are generally covered in human excretions.
Now we just need to teach people not to fondle every piece of fruit on the shelf before buying one apple.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.