Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've recently started playing in a soul band where the horn section is me (doubling tenor/bari) and a trumpet player. one of the guitar players suggested we do a tower of power cover or two since we've got horns, and i would love to, but i'm a bit concerned it will wind up sounding thin. we might add a trombone player at some point, but we've already got a lot of mouths to feed.

my thought is that with the right song choice and a little elbow grease i should be able to play most of the section parts and the bari hits at the same time (prioritizing the bari hits when they overlap). that would give us 3-part harmony on most of the section stuff if i can get the lead guitarist playing the line along with us--we've got keys and a rhythm guitar player too, so it shouldn't be an issue for the rhythm section. my two concerns with this are that the wide spread in ranges between the trumpet and bari will make it hard to write tight harmonies, and that my chops will struggle jumping back and forth between the two parts without a break, but i'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

has anyone done anything similar? what worked well for you? i think i'm going to start out with diggin' on james brown, and i'll post what i come up with to this thread and report back with what works and what doesn't.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
I'd probably use the bari mostly as an independent voice and use the trumpet as the lead voice with the keyboard doubled voices below.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.