Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From left to right....the late great Trudy Pitts- then Cousin Mary who was the lady Coltrane wrote the song for who was of course his cousin- then organist Shirly Scott.

Cousin Mary is a beautiful person in the Philly jazz scene, I thought I'd share this with some of the SOTW folks and let them know about her. She and Trudy Pitts and Shirly Scott were family to many of us- and people I think of a lot.

I worked with Trudy for years and just was talking to an Art Council person in PA about old times with me and Trudy and Shirly. GOOD MEMORY'S FOR SURE :)

Attachments

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim. I've met all three of these wonderful women and this is a great photograph.
Your more than welcome. I sure think of the "era" in which greats like this existed, supported the music_JUST_by being there...and also knowing.

I got to admit it watson143...Shirly and Trudy were angels of greatness. I sure think of them a lot lately. Mary was a sweet woman and a fan for all.

Somewhere, I got a photo of Sid with Al Grey and me and my mom & aun and grandmom after my mom and aunt made us dinner via a gig near by. ( If I find it-I'll make sure you get a copy )

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,060 Posts
Now I can put a face to this song when I play this chart. B

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I can put a face to this song when I play this chart. B
modman-EXACTLY!! A beautiful lady and a jazz supporter to the max.

ALSO- For more Trane-ology dig the The Visitors, from Philadelphia… Saxists Carl and Earl Grubbs.Are quite amazing. They write their own music as well, and recorded a tune by John Coltrane, a famous tune, “Naima”. What’s interesting about this is that Naima Coltrane is the first cousin to Earl and Carl Grubbs (The Visitors). Carl is still on the planet, and a cool alto player & friend. He sometimes played with Julius Hemphills bands w/Andrew White and those guys.

GLAD YOU LIKED :)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yeah Tim!! Thanx for bringin home to cyberspace....
...miss all of you!!

let's not forget Clifford Brown's wife either!

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Tim!! Thanx for bringin home to cyberspace....
...miss all of you!!

let's not forget Clifford Brown's wife either!
Bright sun upon you my friend!! :)

This "era" sirspinbad....was deep with joy. When my wife looks at any of these pics or stuff from those days ( Rufus Harley-played at my wedding, on the church steps. But that's another story!! ) the name JOHN GLENN comes up. He ran a session on Saturdays I used to do w/Eddie Green and the guys. John is mentioned in MOST of the Coltrane books. He was a great saxophonist- and a Philly legend. Trane dug him a lot- and John was hard-bop to the tilt. You would of dug him.
Never met Cliffords widow...but played with Vance Wilson A LOT over on South Street at GERTS. Now.......Vance is on the Clifford record ( as you know:)) Clifford Brown – The Beginning And The End with the great Ziggy Vines. Speaking of that...Bootsie got some boot-leg Ziggy Vines I need to get in a few days. Ziggy was something else. Vance Wilson- was at Gerts 24-7 it seemed- great times!!!

Keep on my friend.... didjerdioo it up too!!!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...youve never heard me play the carpet roll!!!! did it again after a LONG haiatis....the band has one of those mega banners on the backdrop....they transport it in...yes! a carpet roll...(like a poster tube,but MUCH bigger) I busted it out for some didj action on 1 tune last gig.... I had to stand offstage to give enough room to reach the mike!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Great photo Tim, thanx for posting that history. Cousin Mary is a gem, Trudy was everybody's Mom, and Shirley was just COOL! Reminds me.....next time I'm in Philly, I got to go past the Coltrane house on 33rd st and see if the historical marker is still out front. Last time I was over there, it was leaning pretty badly. Might have to contact city hall........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
588 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info and the photo, Tim!
Perhaps we could systematically collect information about the people (mostly ladies) whose names are used in tune titles (like Nica, Emily, Alice...)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Nica was the Baroness....tunes written for her Pannonica ,Nica's Dream

1 - 13 of 13 Posts