Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quartet once again played the local Wine and Cheese event. The band (oldies rock) that plays after us allows us to use their sound system and the sound guy graciously records us and sends me the tracks. Here are the first two tunes of the evening. Both (it should be quite obvious!) Gene Ammons tunes.

https://soundcloud.com/johngreiner-jazz/im-beginning-to-see-the-light-remix

https://soundcloud.com/johngreiner-jazz/exactly-like-you

Mathew Buchman on piano/organ, Cully Swansen on bass and Chris Wills on drums. Of course, the tenor bloviating by yours truly. Hope you enjoy.....

J.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,455 Posts
Sounds great! 'Texas Tenor'-type playing to my ears and very well done.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I enjoyed that a lot and listened from beginning to end. First rate playing on everyone's part. Love your sound.
Great tune selection too. "Shadow boxing in the dark" Sound guy did a great job. Thanks for posting this.
George

·
Registered
507 Posts
My quartet once again played the local Wine and Cheese event. The band (oldies rock) that plays after us allows us to use their sound system and the sound guy graciously records us and sends me the tracks. Here are the first two tunes of the evening. Both (it should be quite obvious!) Gene Ammons tunes.

https://soundcloud.com/johngreiner-jazz/im-beginning-to-see-the-light-remix

https://soundcloud.com/johngreiner-jazz/exactly-like-you

Mathew Buchman on piano/organ, Cully Swansen on bass and Chris Wills on drums. Of course, the tenor bloviating by yours truly. Hope you enjoy.....

J.
Great recordings John! Truly enjoyable.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Great texas tenor sound ! Bravo !

·
Premium Member
15,497 Posts
Yeah John!
I love Jug so much. Love his sound and energy, and you’ve definitely got that excitement in your playing that makes me want to listen!!!
A joy to hear!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate the kind words! I'm always hesitant to post live stuff because well......there are always "interesting" things that happen and as we all know, there are no "re-do's", but as Popeye used to say, "I is what I is".
B Flat, yes.....it's a Super (17900) and without a doubt, the best tenor I've ever played/owned.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate the kind words! I'm always hesitant to post live stuff because well......there are always "interesting" things that happen and as we all know, there are no "re-do's", but as Popeye used to say, "I is what I is".
B Flat, yes.....it's a Super (17900) and without a doubt, the best tenor I've ever played/owned.
That super sounds, well let's just say, totally "super duper". And a great band to boot, thanks for the very pleasurable listen sir.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounding great John. Bedford Drive too!
Thanks Mascio! Bedford Drive...lol I think we recorded that (at a rehearsal) at least 2 yrs. ago now and I honestly have a hard time listening to it, because I feel (at least in my mind) that I play it MUCH better now! As always, thanks much!

J.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very nice - glad you shared. Let me know next time the quartet ventures towards Sheboygan (i think you mentioned occasionally making it that far) so I can get a chance to listen live!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Thank you, John.

TONE + TIME = smile on my face, toes tapping... Yeah, that’s what a tenor should sound like!

What I love is that you sound like you are blowing to the back of the room, and not just huffing to the microphone.

Keep blowing with gusto!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Again, thank you all so much! I'm blessed to play with a rhythm section that I've shared the stage with quite a lot over the last 10+ yrs and as you all know, not having to worry about time, changes, feel, etc. makes it so much easier for me to *try* and focus on my own playing. I greatly appreciate the nice comments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts