Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
All the trouble to make a sax and they couldn’t buy some stamps for the numbers?
I still don’t understand why anybody would counterfeit a Yamaha.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I actually dont think its a fake. I have a silver 875. The only thing that looks funky on it to me is the serial number. I have seen some crude Yamaha serial numbers before. I have compared the pics to my horn. The shape of the high F# key, pant guard, low Eb key are exactly like mine.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,457 Posts
I'm no expert on Yamaha but this looks like somebody faked a serial number. Maybe it was stolen. Maybe they're trying to make a real Yamaha look like a more desirable year? Just asking.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Not a Yamaha at all... Bogus counterfeit. Let's not hand them a playbook to make a better replica. Look where I said to look.
Before we start spreading misinformation, let's make sure we're on the same page. To clarify, are you referring to the way Yamaha engraved the model, serial number, and made in Japan for the linked horn? They've been doing it like that for the last 10 years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts
It looks legit to me. The engravings are real. Most fakes I have seen just etch an engraving and they usually look nothing like the engravings on the authentic horns.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yamaha QC is generally excellent. I have never seen sloppy dot engraving like this on any of their Custom series horns. The other two I've seen just like this individual were made in China and one of them had "Japean". I'd be shocked if their QC let this out the door. The coincidental narrative of "free gift with no case" is mighty fishy. I believe that there's a mistake on the bell as well.
If anyone has engraving like this I'd love to see a photo.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are several, courtesy of Getasax.

View attachment 243970 View attachment 243972 View attachment 243974 View attachment 243976

It's actually really nice looking in person. The photo you see is just a bad photo which is exaggerated by the silver plating.
Those really do look quite nice. This one honestly looks like somebody did a Freehand. Wow, I've never seen letters and numbers that crooked coming out of Yamaha before with a Custom. I must be getting paranoid after that silver Japean one (which looked great in some areas).
I may need to lower my Yamaha bar if this engraving is considered acceptable.

·
Registered
723 Posts
To be fair, the horn you posted was one of the earlier ones, so maybe Yamaha was still nailing down the aesthetics and process of the new design. Plus, I really think it's just a bad photo that makes things look worse than they really are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts