Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help a friend buy a good alto for her daughter and a "new in box" YAS-62 popped up locally. The listing only has a photo of the sax still wrapped in plastic in the case. The price is too good for a brand new 62 ($1k).

The advantage is we can go see it in person, which we'll probably do. What should I look for that would tell me that it's not an authentic Yamaha? I know there are counterfeits out there these days and I don't want to make that kind of mistake.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Does it say YAS 62/04 on the box, because I am looking at the exact same situation, I'm in Florida how about you?

·
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it say YAS 62/04 on the box, because I am looking at the exact same situation, I'm in Florida how about you?
Yep that's it. Please don't steal a Yamaha from a high school kid lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Caveat emptor

The price is a definite red flag for a YAS-62 advertised as "new in box". But you should be able to easily compare it to pictures online. Most of the fake Yamahas I've seen have pretty lazy engraving work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
I wish the mods would hold the flippers to the rules. It’s not like the banner link to the rules is too subtle.

·
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish the mods would hold the flippers to the rules. It’s not like the banner link to the rules is too subtle.
It’s not for sale here I don’t think, just on Facebook. And to be clear, it’s not illegal what he’s doing at all just “eh”.

·
32,935 Posts
It’s not for sale here I don’t think, just on Facebook. And to be clear, it’s not illegal what he’s doing at all just “eh”.
He posted it yesterday in an ad with another horn. I reported the violation, and it appears that the ad is removed.

·
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He posted it yesterday in an ad with another horn. I reported the violation, and it appears that the ad is removed.
Bravo.

And look, I truly am trying to help my friend find a great alto for her high-school daughter on a budget and that would have fit the bill perfectly. I wonder if the seller knew what the buyer was planning to do with it if she would've sold it to him.

Anyway, still looking for a deal like this for my friend. She's going to continue to play and needs a deal like this one would've been. Again, "don't hate the player, hate the game" yeah, I hate the game alright.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ok could you please tell me what rule I have broken by flipping an item Dr. G, I've read the market place rules several times and don't see
anything regarding flipping, a rule number and subset if necessary please. I had about a 30 minute conversation with the lady who sold me
the horn, and she knew fully well I was going to flip it. She represented a logistics company which ends up with a good bit of freight that is
unclaimed to some degree (didn't pay the storage bill, are no longer able to retrieve it, etc.) and I may end up buying her remainders after
the in company auction in bulk, so she was well aware. Your welcome to contact her to verify what I am saying if you like, she is a very nice
lady, and very helpful.

·
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok could you please tell me what rule I have broken by flipping an item Dr. G, I've read the market place rules several times and don't see
anything regarding flipping, a rule number and subset if necessary please. I had about a 30 minute conversation with the lady who sold me
the horn, and she knew fully well I was going to flip it. She represented a logistics company which ends up with a good bit of freight that is
unclaimed to some degree (didn't pay the storage bill, are no longer able to retrieve it, etc.) and I may end up buying her remainders after
the in company auction in bulk, so she was well aware. Your welcome to contact her to verify what I am saying if you like, she is a very nice
lady, and very helpful.
I'm not going to waste my time verifying your story. At the end of the day, a great horn for a great price was sold to someone who's going to sell it for 100+% profit when it could've gone directly to a kid who would've played the crap out of it.

Again, what you did isn't illegal and not really even immoral, it just sucks.

Best of luck with your sale.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm not going to waste my time verifying your story. At the end of the day, a great horn for a great price was sold to someone who's going to sell it for 100+% profit when it could've gone directly to a kid who would've played the crap out of it.

Again, what you did isn't illegal and not really even immoral, it just sucks.

Best of luck with your sale.
This is a little over the top. Anyone here would re-sell a horn for profit if he could. Would you not sell your house for a maximum price so a poor family could afford it and live there? That's a nice thing to do, but I don't know anyone who would do that. It's not as though the high school kid had the horn in her hands and he snatched it away.

·
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a little over the top. Anyone here would re-sell a horn for profit if he could. Would you not sell your house for a maximum price so a poor family could afford it and live there? That's a nice thing to do, but I don't know anyone who would do that. It's not as though the high school kid had the horn in her hands and he snatched it away.
Like I said, not illegal or even really immoral, it just sucks.

And the SELLER was asking $1k for the horn, it just happened to be sold to someone whose sole intention was to RE-sell it for massive profit.

·
32,935 Posts
Ok could you please tell me what rule I have broken by flipping an item Dr. G, I've read the market place rules several times and don't see anything regarding flipping, a rule number and subset if necessary please.
Read Rule #7. I trust that the moderators discussed that with you.

No, there is no rule against flipping. It’s just disappointing to see that a saxophone forum has decayed to a flipping-horns-for-profit forum. Instead of getting horns into the hands of musicians, the emphasis has shifted for some - not all - to what’s-in-it-for-ME.

Sad, but there it is. Congrats on lining your pocket. Yes, you can make the case that you were helping out a lil’ ol’ lady, but you could have similarly sold the horn, pocketed $200 for your troubles, and given her the more true value of her horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
This is a little over the top. Anyone here would re-sell a horn for profit if he could.
Er, maybe not everyone. I was asked to help a friend of a friend out and lucked out with a brand new top of the line modern B&S made horn that was being sold for less than $900. Worth well over $1500 back then (sticker price was $4500 or so!) A talented high school kid I knew on a tight budget got to play the crap out of it. That was an outstanding horn, as good as anything Ive ever played, and frankly better than my own. Not one single regret though about doing the right thing.

I hope Mr Lee has similar luck.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
@ Dr. G. First of all, the lady knew the value of the horn, it was not her horn, it belonged to the company who she worked for, how they clear out
the unclaimed freight is to sell it for about 1/3 of the estimated retail value through an in house auction, whatever doesn't sell after 3
such auctions she clears out through FB, craigslist, etc.. I love how your bias and lack of facts show forth so clearly, you made aspersions about me
for which you had no basis of knowledge.

What your viewpoint on flipping is I could care less, feel free to fulminate until the cows come home, as for this forum "decaying" into, people
have been flipping horns for more than a decade here.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
… and it's not as if he bought an expensive horn on the cheap from a widow who didn't know the value of it. The lady is apparently a professional who's job is to liquidate merchandise quickly. I don't see anything immoral or even "sucks" about the transaction.

The transaction Canadiain describes two posts above is probably something I wouldn't do no matter how noble the cause. I'm probably in the minority on that.

On the other hand I don't see the problem with flipping something for profit. Do you think all the mouthpiece dealers on here sell their product below cost?

·
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
… and it's not as if he bought an expensive horn on the cheap from a widow who didn't know the value of it. The lady is apparently a professional who's job is to liquidate merchandise quickly. I don't see anything immoral or even "sucks" about the transaction.

Here's what "sucks" about it. Family who could've never have afforded to buy a YAS62 for their daughter, still can't (lol). It's pretty clear how it "sucks".

But look, I get that this is how things work out there.

I just wish sometimes it didn't.

Oh well!

·
32,935 Posts
Do you think all the mouthpiece dealers on here sell their product below cost?
I don’t even know whether all the dealers that take advantage of this platform to sell goods report their income.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts