Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'd like to know if uneven rails could generate intonation issues or notes out of tune or only affect mouthpiece response.

Thank you in advance,

Luis Pablo

·
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys! Is it a silly question?

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
luispa said:
Hi,

I'd like to know if uneven rails could generate intonation issues or notes out of tune or only affect mouthpiece response.

Thank you in advance,

Luis Pablo
(Updated :))

The vibration modes of the reed will be altered. The results are unpredictable, they should be carefully analyzed for each mouthpiece by sofisticated experimental techniques. By assuming a "perfect" reed (which doesn't exist) sound alteration can be generated by the superimpositions of several undesidered vibration frequencies. Some partial can be overemphasized. Problems (usually) or advantages (some time mouthpieces have strange behaviors :? ) will affect the mpc general performances. Experts in this field can help us in finding the right answer.
I hope this can help.

Stan

·
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Stan.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,733 Posts
Some technicians add uneven rails to tune (add) resistance. How uneven the rails are is another issue.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,450 Posts
I don't see how uneven rails could cause a piece to play out of tune unless the embouchure was forced way out of the ordinary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts