Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Looks like a mid 60s to mid 70s Director that someone's engraved. Only two things that don't look like typical Conn mechanicals are the neck receiver clamp and the alt. F# key, which I don't remember seeing any Conns with it going up and down. (But I am not very familiar with Director altos.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
The alt F# and the serial # indicate the body was one of the Vito ones left over from Coin Art production in Nogales AZ, the factory which Conn took over in the early 60's. You see these bodies on Director USA's not too infrequently.

The receiver microtuner is hella interesting, as is the bellbrace (a more straightforward version of which started appearing on 10M's at around the same time).

It's a cool horn as far as its one-of-a-kindness....and the engraving is pretty, too. If it plays, for $500 it isn't a bad take, because 50M's (the model they became marketed as) are pretty good horns and it IS likely a one-of-a kind....

But any thoughts that it is worth significantly more than that...should probably be set aside...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
The thing on the neck receiver is not a micro tuner. It is a slot that holds an o ring which helps with the seal at the neck joint. This was present on some Vito Kenosha alto saxes. Here is a link to pictures of a Vito with the same neck receiver: http://www.doctorsax.biz/vito_alto_V3300.htm
This sax is basically a Vito Kenosha alto with different and extra engraving and a different bell brace. I think it could be a prototype of sorts, an early Vito based Conn shooting star.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
This looks like a garden-variety 28M ( Constellation) to me. It has replacement key guards because the stock, plastic key guard has obviously gone bad. If you google "Conn Constellation 28m alto saxophone", you should find photos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
This looks like a garden-variety 28M ( Constellation) to me. It has replacement key guards because the stock, plastic key guard has obviously gone bad. If you google "Conn Constellation 28m alto saxophone", you should find photos.
I think you are seeing another auction since the original has expired. Ebay likes to send you to another similar auction, thus the 28M photos.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
I’ve had a couple of Conn Proto type horns over the years, and both of them were stamped with an X next to the serial number.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This sax is really a stencil since it is a Vito Kenosha engraved as a Conn. Probably not even engraved by Conn as the shooting star engraving is different than what was on the older pan American type 14m or later Vito type 50m. It is sort of a 50m prototype in that it looks to be more like a Vito with the vertical side F sharp key and Vito O-ring neck socket. The F sharp would be changed as Conn evolved it into the Arizona/Mexico shooting star alto. The O ring neck socket doesn’t show up on any other Shooting Stars as far as I know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
This sax is really a stencil since it is a Vito Kenosha engraved as a Conn. Probably not even engraved by Conn as the shooting star engraving is different than what was on the older pan American type 14m or later Vito type 50m. It is sort of a 50m prototype in that it looks to be more like a Vito with the vertical side F sharp key and Vito O-ring neck socket. The F sharp would be changed as Conn evolved it into the Arizona/Mexico shooting star alto. The O ring neck socket doesn’t show up on any other Shooting Stars as far as I know.
Then maybe interesting to read this

http://doctorsax.biz/vito_conn.htm

in particular

“ Eventually though, the Vito horns moved away from the "Best" as they entered into a working arrangement with Yamaha of Japan. There are a variety of transitional Vito horns that have a mix of Japanese fabricated parts with American parts. These horns might have been assembled in Kenosha. I also read that:
Conn bought the A.M. Best Manufacturing Company of Nogales, Arizona in 1961, and moved production of the student instruments in their line (including the "Shooting Star") there. The tone hole placement and bore were carried over from previous designs, and were reall pretty good. The keywork was cheapened considerably. but the horns PLAYED.

Conn's 50M "Shooting Star" model was nearly identical to the Kenosha Vito sax.

“ Conn took over the original Vito, called that the 50M and also put their shooting star stencil on the bell. The 50M had the sheet metal type key guards and the different F# tonehole placement. Over time, these models melded a bit, with the 14M taking on the 50M's keyguards (which might have been easier to install than the Mercedes cage type, and easier to replace for sure.
To the best of my knowledge, only altos of the 50M type were made...no tenors, whereas the 14M model type had a tenor big brother, the 16M.

UPDATE - I have seen some 60M Tenors."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
I think you are seeing another auction since the original has expired. Ebay likes to send you to another similar auction, thus the 28M photos.
I've not had that happen before, but now that someone has posted photos of the horn in question, I can see we're talking about a very different axe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts