Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've always played Rico reeds, however this Reed came with a saxophone I was given (LaFleur from the seventies, a surprisingly nice sax, dark and smooth sounding, good intonation, well made) anyroad it is the best reed I've ever used, I'll have a box of these and consider myself a convert but what is it?
Wood Font Flooring Rectangle Hardwood

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,348 Posts

· Registered
2,345 Posts
Java's are my preferred reed. I think that the number/letters at the top signify the batch that they come from. Having a great reed is a wonderful thing. However, I wouldn't get over excited, reeds may vary even within the same batch and you may not find another that plays that well. Enjoy it while you can.

· Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,624 Posts
Yes, the batch number is meant as a security feature as well (there’s threads on counterfeit Vandos), so I suppose one could find out if it’s a java red or green if they’re that specific with their batch numbering.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,348 Posts
See post #2 for the link to a Vandoren reed guide. You can look at the top of the reed and compare it to the chart in the link to see whether it is “Green” or “Red” series.

· Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,624 Posts
So isn't this just one of the ordinary Vandoren Java reeds, that they've been selling for at least 25 or 30 years? What kind of ID is needed?
As mentioned four times in this very thread before your post at #10…which means you ignored 5/9 posts before asking this, There’s two different java reeds. Has been for about 15 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts