Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
Selmer Paris 6,7,SA80 & Couf S1s
3,537 Posts
I've seen conflicting charts for the Keilwerths in this ear. That year is not right, the Superba was not around in the 60's. I bought mine in 1983 and they were offered as a new brand at the time and I'd never heard of them before then.
They are an older brand than the place that sold one to you back then. That's probably the year that they started selling them.

My old music store, Royal Music in Royal Oak, Michigan, which was Mr. Couf's store, had them much, much earlier than 1983.

For example, if you research Grover Washington Jr in the 1970s, look at old videos, and album covers, etc you'll see him use Couf horns clearly into the 1970s. He preferred a Selmer alto, but Couf soprano and tenors.

here's my SN chart. It's in blog format now and I haven't bothered making it look good.
https://www.woodwindforum.com/clarinetperfection/keilwerth-sax/

Mr. Couf and Gary Ferree (one of his engineers at the time) helped evolve the JK keywork from the 1960s old style keywork to more modern-ish keywork. The above webpage, who's links don't work right now (oops), actually show(ed) some of those changes.

I would think about 1969 for Helen's Low A bari.
I've always wanted to get Couf Low A Bari, but the weight doesn't do good things to my back no matter what I do nowadays. I've only played low A bari once, back in 1982 which was a Superba I supplied by Mr Couf, for the state honor's band. He was a great guy always wanting to help the budding musician.

FYI, there was a Bundy Special which was a Couf designed instrument, which evolved into the Superbas. Well, that one model actually devolved into the student version Couf horns Royalist and Royalist I. Royalist II was an Elkhart, IN model.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
Selmer Paris 6,7,SA80 & Couf S1s
3,537 Posts
Not quite on topic, but the earliest Couf Superba II tenor sax I've seen had serial number 65xxx, which is to say they weren't available before then. Also, there was a recent discussion about dates serial numbers for the Superba 1 tenor in the Sticky at the top of this section.
FYI, one of the earliest serial numbers I have for a Couf horn is 564xx which has a plexiplastic pant guard thing.
I haven't really searched for lower SNs in probably a decade though, so they could have come about earlier.
It's a Superba 2 alto, with RTH.

Oops, I'm not getting notifications for this thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts