Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need another tenor like another hole in the head, but...

There's a Couf Superba I available locally and I'll probably go check it out for giggles. I have a '53 Super 20 and a '49 Committee III... what can I expect from the Couf relative to those two horns?

Also what is a good price currently for a Couf I? Assuming original lacquer and in good playing condition.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,462 Posts
The couf superba 2 I had was way flat in the palm keys. Expect the Marin to have the biggest tone and fastest action. At least that how i'd compared the three K

·
Registered
875 Posts
S20 vs Superba I, The King has a brighter, punchier tone and is more focused. The Couf will have a gorgeous, thick tone and it's far more spread. Both are wonderful. (I've never owned a vintage Martin)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I agree, the S20 should be brighter. The Couf has a big spread tone kind of like a 10M. For me the Martin does not have as big a sound but I know others who say it does. Martins are like Selmers and Bueschers in that they are all around horns that work for both Classical and Jazz.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Played it today and it was a great player. They also had a 40s Buffet SA18-20 that was hard to put down.

·
8,074 Posts
I wouldn’t expect the S20 to be brighter in general.
This Keilwerth tenors are a reasonably bright horn in themselves.
That’s as far as a horn can really be brighter or darker.
I’d expect the action to be similar to the S20 and better than the Martin.
But of course that is dependent on who’s playing it and what their like are.
I don’t feel however that you’ll find anything enormously differentwith the tone of the Keilwerth over the others.
Unless your mouthpiece choices are vastly different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,908 Posts
Never played the Super 20, but I played a Martin like yours for years and got rid of it very quickly when the Couf Superba I came into my life! It's got significantly better ergos, very mouthpiece friendly and a fantastic sound that fills the space... and will punch a hole in the wall at 60 paces!

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never played the Super 20, but I played a Martin like yours for years and got rid of it very quickly when the Couf Superba I came into my life! It's got significantly better ergos, very mouthpiece friendly and a fantastic sound that fills the space... and will punch a hole in the wall at 60 paces!
This Couf was very nice, and yes the ergos were 1000 times better than my Martin's.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've never understood why so many people dislike the ergo's on a Martin it takes about 5 minutes to get comfy and if it is set up properly man oh man is it slick. The only vintage horn I'd put above it is the Conn 6M and 10M when they're set up right they're just as fast or faster than a Selmer Mark VI.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've never understood why so many people dislike the ergo's on a Martin it takes about 5 minutes to get comfy and if it is set up properly man oh man is it slick. The only vintage horn I'd put above it is the Conn 6M and 10M when they're set up right they're just as fast or faster than a Selmer Mark VI.
The left pinky table is super awkward for me. Different strokes.

·
2,831 Posts
i have only played martins, currently i play a magna, 58 and a handcraft 28, the magna is far easier than the handcraft,
i also have a mkiv,a and a 10m,the mkiv is just easier, but its never a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts