Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just picked up a Couf II tenor in near perfect condition. I got big mitts, and it fits them just fine. Haven't played in many years, and wasn't all that good in the past, but just gotta try it again. What I don't know is what mouthpieces I should look into that "fit" the horn best. I like the Gez sound and the Dexter Gordon sound (how's that for a range!) and my favorite music that i hope to play is Bossa Nova style.

Any suggestions helpful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, I should add I went thru the whole Keilworth/Mouthpiece thread, but saw no Superba II's to speak of (I know it is really the same as a I sans rolled tone holes) so thought this would augment it. Keep in mind I am re-starting and have no control at all yet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey Dan, Welcome to the Couf world. I play a Suberba 1. Let me preface my remarks by stating I am not a lights out player, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I haven't played lots of pieces on my Couf, but here is my experience. I had a Ponzol M1 when i got the Couf. For me, it was uneven and difficult to get a consistent tone with. I then tried a new Berg, Brecker Guardala, (wwwbw version) Van Doren V16 75 metal and one other piece that escapes me right now. I kept the Van Doren. It has the fullest tone and was most even with the least work. It gives a pretty middle of the road tone, balancing the sort of dark tone of the Couf with some brightness of the Van Doren. It is a very free blowing combination. The Couf is free blowing to begin with. I think I would actually prefer a little more resistance.
Given that you are just restarting as you say, find something middle of the road and work with it for a while till you clarify your tone concept and technique. A van doren might be good for that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Living here in Seattle, there does not seem to be a plethora of shops to just go and try lots of "quality" mpc's. We have a few small chain stores, and one vintage guy I know who does appointments. I will have to do some more hunting around. That is part of why I ask for help, because there is no way I will get exposure to what many others here will or have tried...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Well, after trying various mpcs on my '76 Couf Superba II Tenor, the one I found the best was a Drake Studio (.110) and my Drake re-faced Rousseau Classic (.090).

The pieces I have tried on it are:

Drake Custom Prototype (built for me when I was playing a French Vito Tenor) .108. Just doesn't seem to have the 'punch' on this Tenor like it did on the last one.

Remle refaced to .109 . Just sounded dead on this sax. Was great on the French Vito.

Brilhart Ebolin 3*. Sounded like crap on both Tenors!

H. Couf Artist Jazz 5. Great sound, nice and bright, but really thinned out on the bottom end. Was too closed for me, making sub-tones difficult.

Plus the 2 mentioned at the beginning of my post.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Dan,

I have a Couf Superba 1 and I'm using a vintage MC Gregory that I bought from mouthpiece refacer Bob Carpenter, who is in Bothell. He has lots and lots of tenor mpc's to try - if you don't know him, PM me and I'll send you his phone number.

Al Carter
Mount Vernon, WA

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't been around long enough to PM you (no priviledges) so if you would please PM me the details I would be mure than grateful!

Thanks SO much for the direction!

(and if some Mod is reading this can i get the option to PM please?)

·
6,831 Posts
My Couf Superba 1 plays very well with a link stm and klum sterling silver mouthpiece. I don't like high baffle mouthpieces on this horn or on my Conn 10m.
And this just goes to show how personal a mouthpiece is! My high baffle Drake Studio is the best that came along for me and my Couf! Link-type pieces weren't working like I'd like them to.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I play a Couf Superba 1 with a Dukoff D9 - which is about 25 yrs old now - it will take all you can give, but does require some control with the throat and embessure (sp?!).

When I was in college (1985-1990), all us jazz saxophonists were just 'drooling' over the Dukoff mouthpieces I guess because of Brecker - surprised I haven't even heard one mention of this brand - anyonen besides me still use them?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,596 Posts
Umm. Why not try a Couf mouthpiece, especially with the sounds that you said interested you? They are not that hard to come by and are not that expensive. The older ones (and possibly newer ones) are excellent mouthpieces.

·
6,831 Posts
Umm. Why not try a Couf mouthpiece, especially with the sounds that you said interested you? They are not that hard to come by and are not that expensive. The older ones (and possibly newer ones) are excellent mouthpieces.
The Couf Artist and Artist Jazz mpcs are excellent pieces, but I found, that even on the Couf, for which they are made, the high baffle Jazz pieces thin out on the bottom end. I get a similar tone and just as much punch, from my Drake Studio, as I did with the Couf Jazz, but with a thick bottom end!

I also use a Couf Artist on Bari too (1926 King), though I use it for tamer stuff. For rock and Jazz I use my Drake Custom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts